Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 PM

Default How to copy and drag regions?

Hi!

Coming from Logic I am so used to copying and dragging regions around. How do I do that in ProTools?

An example, say you have a guitar region starting slughtly before a beat and you want to copy this to another section of the song, still maintaining the realtive time, in other words if the first region is at bar 4-4-247 and I want to copy it to section 4 bars later in the song is should be placed at 8-4-247. There must be an easy way to do this, but I haven´t found it in the manual.

Thanx!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: How to copy and drag regions?

In Relative Grid mode, option click the region, then drag it to the new position.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:09 AM

Do you know if there is a way to copy regions on different tracks occupying the same timespace to a new location later in the song OTHER than by Shift-clicking them one by one and then dragging with the Alt or command key held down?

Example - a ProTools project with many MIDI tracks of different orchestral instruments, much time has been spent honing an 8-bar instrumental passage, which will be used later in the timeline. Rather than the very fiddly process described above, am I missing some important menu command that lets me select all active regions at once, then copy and paste to the new location? It's very difficult to drag the duplicated regions to the new location because you have to keep your finger on the mouse button, then drag, lift the mouse, drag again, lift the mouse until the new location is reached.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 PM

You don't have to click them one by one, you can just select the first region and then shift + click the last region of the phrase that you want to copy, and Pro Tools will select all of the regions in the between the two. You can then either option + drag them to the time location later in the song that you need, or just copy and paste (cmd + C/V) them by putting the cursor to wherever you want the new group of regions to begin and pasting.

If when you are dragging regions to another location you have to pick up the mouse, just zoom out some so that you don't have to drag them so far, then zoom back in and fine tune your placement.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:17 AM

Hi thanks for your reply.

what you are describing does work fine for one track but - and correct me if I'm wrong - the copy and paste technique doesn't seem to work with multiple midi tracks in the Edit window. However after some tinkering I have worked out the most practiceable way for me:

1) Having chosen Selection tool, 'Slip' mode and 'Region' viewing mode for all tracks, click and drag along the timeline, which highlights the selection in every active track in the edit window (having first hidden any tracks, such as audio, that you don't want to include in the selection)

2) With the selection still highlighted, consolidate the regions so your selection is represented in each track by a single solid region.

3) Choose a reasonably high zoom and track width setting, then with the Hand tool, Alt click and copy-drag the still highlighted region selection to its new location further along the timeline. At the high zoom setting, once you hit the right hand of the screen, the timeline simply keeps scrolling to the left, so as long as the mouse button is held down your selection is still moving and it's easy to see on the zoomed-in timeline exactly when you have reached the desired location.

4) Let go of the mouse button. Note: for accuracy of placement, Grid view tends to be the best choice for this procedure, but it pays to have begun your selection with the last beat of the measure preceding the phrase so that the beginnings of all the different MIDI notes will be picked up (we tend to play certain sounds, such as strings, before the beat).

To summarize, PT doesn't appear to have the ability to paste a copied region selection from multiple tracks into the same tracks further along the timeline. But the method described above works perfectly well for me. It's important to have consolidated the regions within the selection otherwise the dragging won't work.

[/QUOTE]You don't have to click them one by one, you can just select the first region and then shift + click the last region of the phrase that you want to copy, and Pro Tools will select all of the regions in the between the two. You can then either option + drag them to the time location later in the song that you need, or just copy and paste (cmd + C/V) them by putting the cursor to wherever you want the new group of regions to begin and pasting.

If when you are dragging regions to another location you have to pick up the mouse, just zoom out some so that you don't have to drag them so far, then zoom back in and fine tune your placement.

[/QUOTE]
Old 07-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Hi thanks for your reply.

and correct me if I'm wrong - the copy and paste technique doesn't seem to work with multiple midi tracks in the Edit window.

It works fine. Just make sure that you have reselected the tracks before you paste. I usually just put the cursor where I want it, then shift-"select down" arrow (semi colon key) to place the timeline in the pertinent tracks, and paste. works every time. You do not have to separate into regions, consolidate, or all that other extra work you are doing. Also check out Object grabber, and you can copy/paste non contiguous items, while maintaining their relative position, over multiple tracks. sb
Old 07-04-2008, 04:07 PM

To expand on what others have suggested, you can also hide the tracks you don’t want to be part of a copy-and-paste operation, thereby simplifying the process.

If you’ll be editing across these tracks more than once, consider creating a “Group” for them. (Tip: Grouped but hidden tracks are not affected by edits.)

If your multiple edits apply to the same data, consider creating a “Region Group.”

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 AM

This is a stupid question, but I've never figured it out. Does anyone know if it's possible to snap a region's right end to the grid? For example, say I wanted a reverse cymbal swell's end to land on the first bar of a chorus.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancollider View Post
This is a stupid question, but I've never figured it out. Does anyone know if it's possible to snap a region's right end to the grid? For example, say I wanted a reverse cymbal swell's end to land on the first bar of a chorus.
Park your cursor on the beat and Cmd+Ctrl+click the region with Grabber Tool (Mac)
Old 07-26-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancollider View Post
Hit "K" in command-focus mode.