Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2021, 11:04 AM

Default Re: GUI short freeze and beachball still on 2021.7

Seems like this carousel just spins round and round.

In SOME cases, a clean install includes SOME process which repairs the issue. Yes, of course it makes more sense to figure out which particular SOMETHING is actually making the repairs and then just apply that step, but no one here yet knows what that is.

So, until someone can say "delete so-and-so" or "kick the computer, Fonzie-style," thus saving ourselves the trouble of a clean install (nobody *wants* to do this), then, yes, it's a viable remedy.

To suggest that it's categorically pointless is, without question, pointless, not to mention speaking for the entire class. Some will have time for a clean install, and a successful install, as above posts have already proven.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:47 AM

This whole thread is a beachball
Old 09-17-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Of course I know that.

But my beta team background reflects on the question, that seems to be hard to understand for some. Because I know first hand that unless you have a known starting point (clean install) there are plenty of random things that may or may not affect to the situation. Which is why it is important to make that clean install every now and then.

Now that they are releasing macOS Monterey soon, that would be a good place to do it. As for myself (not being in beta team any longer) I would skip the dot-zero release, but once they release the first bug fix release, what I do is first update the system the apple way, let all libraries update, see what is broken, benchmark, backup, and then plan a good weekend for a clean install. After that I can pretty much assume I can use that platform until The Next Place is introduced, which is likely one year later.

Many people do not understand that all software that is installed will have some effect on your system. Avid does not have any idea what it is that causes thes random kinds of problems unless you have started from clean install of OS (wihtout any kind of automatic migration tools).

Don't shoot the messenger if you do not like the message.
Perhaps I'm understanding you incorrectly. Would you please, as it relates this specific bug, explain how you've come to the conclusion that a clean OS install fixes it?
Old 09-17-2021, 02:05 PM

The first step is not "clean install". That's like if you had a flat tire the first suggestion is replace the whole drive train wheels and tires.

Yes it will fix the flat tire. But it is not what is needed. In very miniscule instances you might need to clean install. But in over 20 years making a living as a producer and previously as a mix engineer I have never needed to clean install. And this is with probably 100s of protools rigs. On hundreds of albums. All over the world. 100s of recording studios. Everytime the tech would do trouble shooting and it is never re-install the os.

This suggestion is just not the right answer. Maybe if I had hours to spend to Fiddle with my computer and didn't have to actually finish a record I would not know anyy better. My experience is from working on music making deadlines. Sometimes the rigs would crash every 5 minutes for an hour.. You had to get it stable to make it thru the day. Not reinstall everything and destroy the whole work day.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2021, 02:12 PM

Am I not making myself clear? Told that every major OS uograde requires a clean install. Pointuodates do not, but once you have a clone of a well working clean install you can use it in case update goes wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Am I not making myself clear? Told that every major OS uograde requires a clean install. Pointuodates do not, but once you have a clone of a well working clean install you can use it in case update goes wrong.

You don't need to do that either. I remember protools 4 docs said to do that. I don't think the avid docs say anything about this now. And nobody does in reality. Takes too long.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I am using Waves 12. I’m getting the SWODs on my M1 Mac Mini running OS 11.4. PT 2021.7

I will remove the Waves plugs and report back any improvements. I’m not going to do a clean install of the OS, so that will not affect any results of this test.

Is it possible to put the "clean install" debate to rest for minute or two?

I just ran a 30 minute test WITH OUT Waves v12 in my plugins folder.

Pro Tools was stable, smooth, starting and stopping quickly, and no SWOD's to speak of. I did get one SWOD on a Preroll test. I increased my disc cache and it never happened again.

Without doing ANY clean install, I'm willing to make a bet that Waves has been the cause of all this beach balling!

Anyone who is experiencing these issues, I highly recommend removing the WaveShell-AAX 12.xx.aaxplugin from your

Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins folder and do your own testing.

Just drag the WaveShell-AAX file onto you desktop for the time being when Pro Tools is closed. When you launch PT, it won't load the WaveShell plugin.
Then, do your own testing.

If you notice a difference, immediately write to Waves and yell at them for causing such headaches!!

I'll keep testing on my end to see if it's any specific plugin. I'm using C6, H-Comp, L2, RCompressor, Rverv, WNS in all of my sessions.

Time to find some replacements!! Arg!! Waves!
Old 09-17-2021, 04:30 PM

Yes, it is called WavesHell for a reason and entirely their responsibility to fix

Old 09-17-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Is it possible to put the "clean install" debate to rest for minute or two?

I just ran a 30 minute test WITH OUT Waves v12 in my plugins folder.

Pro Tools was stable, smooth, starting and stopping quickly, and no SWOD's to speak of. I did get one SWOD on a Preroll test. I increased my disc cache and it never happened again.

Without doing ANY clean install, I'm willing to make a bet that Waves has been the cause of all this beach balling!

Anyone who is experiencing these issues, I highly recommend removing the WaveShell-AAX 12.xx.aaxplugin from your

Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins folder and do your own testing.

Just drag the WaveShell-AAX file onto you desktop for the time being when Pro Tools is closed. When you launch PT, it won't load the WaveShell plugin.
Then, do your own testing.

If you notice a difference, immediately write to Waves and yell at them for causing such headaches!!

I'll keep testing on my end to see if it's any specific plugin. I'm using C6, H-Comp, L2, RCompressor, Rverv, WNS in all of my sessions.

Time to find some replacements!! Arg!! Waves!
Thanks for the confirmation 2loud. Anyone else?
Old 09-17-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is called WavesHell for a reason and entirely their responsibility to fix

To be clear, Waves is technically not authorized to run on an M1 machine, natively or otherwise.

Therefore, some of these SWOD's may or may not be related. In only share my experience with my machine. Other than this one issue, which might be Waves related, I have never had any issues with any Waves plugins.

It's up to any one person to make up their minds if Waves is to blame. Time will tell.