Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-31-2000, 02:17 AM

Default Re: best nearfields

I dont no what price point your after but the Event 20/20bas have been with me for about 3 1/2 years. I really love the imaging and they are tough. believe me ;>
Old 08-31-2000, 05:33 AM

The Behringer B2031 Truth Monitor are due out 09/11/2000. I think their design is copied on the HR 824. For $65o a pair of active monitors, it's worth a listen, I guess....

David.
<A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/153/6_am_eternal.html" TARGET=_blank>6am eternal
</A>

6am eternal
Old 08-31-2000, 08:14 AM

i love my pair of mackie hr824. wow. it took four weeks of moving them an inch per day to find the 'mega sweet spot'.

i would, however, just die if something happened to my monitor ones. $300 of incredible near feild. no ear fatigue, as in case ns10. lot's o'deep bass if you position them correctly. keep in mind the 824's are best a midfield (and a wonderful one at that) while the monitor ones are best a nearfield.

you really do need two or more sets.
Old 08-31-2000, 09:48 AM

If spending no more than $500.00 is your bag baby, don't overlook the Alesis M1 actives. DB
Old 08-31-2000, 10:01 AM

thanks DUC!

i'm gonna opt for the mackie hr824's.....i think!

got a qoute of £899 from andertons in the uk.

coaster...can you give me some rough dimensions/advice pertaining to finding the perfect sweetspot...i ain't got a clue when it comes to audiophile stuff..., i just rock out on my fender rhodes!

btw, group..during a sound test on the mackies i played donald fagen "ruby baby" and tower of power "we came to play". boy!! think i rediscovered why i got into this game in the first place......

regards

josh
Old 08-31-2000, 10:25 AM

it's different in every room. very different. try them in a lot of places. if you use them as midfields, put them aprox where they have to go. use them for a day or two, and move them an inch. after a day, if they sound better, move them another inch. now try backwards, left/right/forwards ect. pretty soon you'll hit it.

to start:
try them at least 4 feet from the walls at ear level, 8 feet apart and 6 feet from you. then you may begin the long proccess. trust me, you'll know when you hit it. you wont hear it right away, but after a day you won't want to move them and thats where it is.

good luck
Old 08-31-2000, 02:37 PM

Hey guys, since you seem to know a whole lot more about monitors than I do, maybe you could help my next buy:

I need a pair of monitors somewhere between $500 and $1000 for nearfield monitoring. I can't expand the space in my studio, which is also my living room and my kitchen: here's what I can get: monitors 1 foot from the wall, 4 feet apart and 3 to 4 feet from me.
I was thinking, either 20/20 event, or some KRK, or the behringer that are supposed to imitate the HR824....any tips?
Thanks!

6am eternal

[This message has been edited by Kickin.da.speaker (edited August 31, 2000).]

6am eternal
Old 08-31-2000, 03:53 PM

hey kicken

i have heard the event 20/20's. they are very nice. me thinks they are a tad bass heavy, but quite pleasant and useable.

i have only heard good things about the krk's, no experience firsthand though.

once again, i am going to plug the inexpensive and high quality monitor ones by alesis.

for god sake, don't rush out and buy anything made by behringer. make sure you like it first. i have a few peices by them, and they have broken right away. they are cheaply manufactered. i like my behringer gear, except i worry about it breaking. i'd rather own (ick) ns10's.
Old 09-01-2000, 02:00 AM

Read All About It
Well I got out to the sound store and had a listen to the HR825's, after reading the threads here. They are just great, but gee they are heavy, I'm goina have to chain them to ceiling.

Nick
Old 09-01-2000, 07:17 AM

Not familiar w/ the HR824s, but I've heard KRKs. They're great for rock, seem a bit weighty in the upper-mids, but they also have a tight but powerful low end. They come in several different flavors (i.e. sizes) so that may make a difference. Others have raved about the new Yamaha MSP-whatever-the-number is (can't remember). Not NS-10s, obviously.