Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM

Default mBox Mini and Pro Tools 10

Anyone using this combo successfully with a MacBook Pro? I get really noticeable latency on input even at a buffer of 32. Also, if I use the mix knob on the mBox the mic is only on the left side and the headphone level is extremely low. All of this is quite a game stopper for remote recording. Is this normal for vanilla P Tools 10 on a laptop?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 AM

Default Re: mBox Mini and Pro Tools 10

I've had no problems using the Mbox2 (not the Mini) with Pro Tools 10 Native on a MacBook Pro. Maybe try trashing Prefs to fix the latency problem?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 AM

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD-John View Post
I've had no problems using the Mbox2 (not the Mini) with Pro Tools 10 Native on a MacBook Pro. Maybe try trashing Prefs to fix the latency problem?
The latency problem is now minimal. Trashing prefs may have done it, I don't know as I am new to any kind of Native version of P Tools. Even at 32 I can still feel a tiny bit of latency slop when playing a guitar overdub though. There is definitely a small difference between monitoring through Pro Tools and then switching the mix knob on the mBox to the direct signal. Also, the direct signal only comes back on the left or right side, depending on which of the two input's you are using. The mic input only comes back on the left side. There seems to be no way to get it into the center. So far I'm not loving this Native stuff as compared to the TDM rig at my studio.

How powerful of a computer do you run it on. I have a 2.4 Core 2 Duo and I can't seem to get too many tracks to play at a 32 buffer setting. If I try to use even one DeCapitator on a track the CPU overload message rears it lovely little head. Is this normal or is my MacBook too underpowered?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
The latency problem is now minimal. Trashing prefs may have done it, I don't know as I am new to any kind of Native version of P Tools. Even at 32 I can still feel a tiny bit of latency slop when playing a guitar overdub though. There is definitely a small difference between monitoring through Pro Tools and then switching the mix knob on the mBox to the direct signal. Also, the direct signal only comes back on the left or right side, depending on which of the two input's you are using. The mic input only comes back on the left side. There seems to be no way to get it into the center. So far I'm not loving this Native stuff as compared to the TDM rig at my studio.

How powerful of a computer do you run it on. I have a 2.4 Core 2 Duo and I can't seem to get too many tracks to play at a 32 buffer setting. If I try to use even one DeCapitator on a track the CPU overload message rears it lovely little head. Is this normal or is my MacBook too underpowered?
I keep my buffer setting permanently on 1024 because I do all my monitoring at zero latency through Saffire MixControl - the router software for my interface. I'm the same as you, something still doesn't feel right for me when playing guitar even at a 32 sample buffer size.

The Mbox2 has a "Mono" button which sums inputs 1 and 2, and I use this all the time when tracking with it. Unfortunately I don't think the Mbox Mini has that feature, so I'm afraid it's either 32 samples latency and have your input panned centre, or hardware monitor at no latency but play out of one speaker...

My computer is the 2011 2.7GHz dual-core i7 with 8GB RAM. But like I said my buffer is always at 1024 so I've never had issues running pretty large sessions; I'm sure if I put it to 32 it'll freak it out big time.

And yes, I'm sure it's nasty using Native when you're used to TDM! Having said that, it's just a matter of learning the shortcomings of Native and working around them - that's what I've done and thankfully my little rig has been very stable and reliable for quite some time.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD-John View Post
I keep my buffer setting permanently on 1024 because I do all my monitoring at zero latency through Saffire MixControl - the router software for my interface. I'm the same as you, something still doesn't feel right for me when playing guitar even at a 32 sample buffer size.

The Mbox2 has a "Mono" button which sums inputs 1 and 2, and I use this all the time when tracking with it. Unfortunately I don't think the Mbox Mini has that feature, so I'm afraid it's either 32 samples latency and have your input panned centre, or hardware monitor at no latency but play out of one speaker...

My computer is the 2011 2.7GHz dual-core i7 with 8GB RAM. But like I said my buffer is always at 1024 so I've never had issues running pretty large sessions; I'm sure if I put it to 32 it'll freak it out big time.

And yes, I'm sure it's nasty using Native when you're used to TDM! Having said that, it's just a matter of learning the shortcomings of Native and working around them - that's what I've done and thankfully my little rig has been very stable and reliable for quite some time.
Thanks for the info. I just did some more research and found out, what I should probably have known in the first place, that the mBox Mini doesn't support low latency monitoring in the P Tools software. Aaaargh!

So you use the Saffire hardware interface, as opposed to the mBox 2, for recording? Can you, I'm assuming you can't, use the Saffire MixControl software with the mBox 2? Also, is the Saffire hardware interface a good unit?

Sorry for all the questions. Ha. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I just did some more research and found out, what I should probably have known in the first place, that the mBox Mini doesn't support low latency monitoring in the P Tools software. Aaaargh!

So you use the Saffire hardware interface, as opposed to the mBox 2, for recording? Can you, I'm assuming you can't, use the Saffire MixControl software with the mBox 2? Also, is the Saffire hardware interface a good unit?

Sorry for all the questions. Ha. Thanks again.
Haha, yes the Mbox Mini is a bit limited in features.. so I guess the best option may be to hardware monitor (using the Mix knob) and keep the PT buffer a bit higher?

No you can't use MixControl with the Mbox as it's hardware-specific. Actually MixControl also functions as the driver for the interface as well, so setup is pretty simple. I'm very happy with the Saffire Pro 40, it's been a real workhorse. Very stable performance with PT10, pres sound decent (noticeably better than the Mbox 2) and plenty of I/O for my needs. MixControl is what I love most though - it's invaluable for things like setting up multiple zero latency headphone mixes when tracking.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Once again, thanks for the info. I'll just go and get the Saffire Pro. It sounds like it makes the most sense to have that.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Once again, thanks for the info. I'll just go and get the Saffire Pro. It sounds like it makes the most sense to have that.
Great, I'm sure you'll love it