Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2008, 01:15 PM

Default Has anyone setup a Dolby E layback station?

hi all,
We are setting up to do Dolby E encoded laybacks to digital videotape. It is all pretty greek to me, so far, but I understand there are issues around Machine Control, the Sync I/O and making it all work from the ICON. My tech tells me that there is an issue where if we are running machine control via 9 pin, there is no LTC available to feed to the Dolby E encoder. In short, there is no way to do it from the seat in the mixing room, without buying a third-party sync box of some sort, because when the Sync I/O is in 9 pin mode, the ltc is disabled. What are people doing out there?

Thanks,
Tom Paul

www.tompaul.com
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Has anyone setup a Dolby E layback station?

I don't use the 9 pin on the Synch. I use a KeySerial adapter to go from usb
to 9 pin control. You cpould try that. I know I've done laybacks to Digital Beta as well as D5 and HD SR with Dolby E with no problem before.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 PM

I send the Dolby box LTC from the deck.

-Richard

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumphries View Post
I send the Dolby box LTC from the deck.

-Richard
this can cause flashing light on the dolby E box, so be careful. i doubt it affects the signal, but it doesn't seem to like timecode direct from the DVW. i run the timecode out from the deck, regenerate it in a DA-88 deck and then send it to the dolby E!! only way i've made it work in my setup. you could run the code through any piece of timecode audio gear, like a DAT machine
Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 PM

I think I've done it by having the Sync IO lock to serial TC then have the Sync IO regenerate LTC... if I remember correctly!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlowd View Post
this can cause flashing light on the dolby E box, so be careful. i doubt it affects the signal, but it doesn't seem to like timecode direct from the DVW. i run the timecode out from the deck, regenerate it in a DA-88 deck and then send it to the dolby E!! only way i've made it work in my setup. you could run the code through any piece of timecode audio gear, like a DAT machine
I've never had a problem running timecode out of the deck into the Dolby box. Though I would agree that a flashing light on the box means that something is wrong. In my experience, if those lights on the boxes (570,571,572) aren't all green then something is definitely wrong and I'll hear back from QC sooner or later.

-Richard

www.TakomaMedia.com