Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-06-2021, 05:04 AM

Default Can't open PT 10 session in PT 10 anymore

I recently made a new partition on my studio computer and finally started using PT 2020. I was happy to find out that PT 2020 openend my PT 10 sessions with no problem. Having said that today I tried again to open an old session and it read " it can not be openend because it was created on an older Pro Tools version" I was surprised nevertheless I though "fair enough". So I openend the PT 10 partition of my computer, tried to open the session in PT 10 and guess, what....I got the same error message. How can this be ?

thanx for any help
Kai
Old 02-06-2021, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Can't open PT 10 session in PT 10 anymore

One additional information. This happened after I transferred the session onto another hard drive for archiving it and now put it back onto my PT drive to do something with it.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:03 AM

Likely the session is corrupted. You should be making multiple backups.. try the others.

If you do not have multiple separate known to work backups make them now. Don’t overwrite all your old backups, use separate/new drives. put some in the cloud.

If you try the same with other sessions do they have the same problem.

Can either version of Pro Tools open the session for import (unlikely to work). If you are out of options you might have to import the content into a new session and do a lot of manual reconstruction.

Not that it will necessarily help but you could provide more info which might offer somebody some clue... what different disk drive and File system types—especially because you will have APFS and HFS+ compatibility issues here? How exactly did you copy stuff etc. Time machine? How did you do this *exactly*?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-06-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:27 AM

The exact method ist this: I have two Glyph hard drives (no SSD) one is my main, the other is backup, I clone them with carbon copy cloner. And then I have another drive, where I just store sessions, that I might not touch ever again. At least, that was what I thought until today.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:44 AM

Are any of the autosave backup session file openable?

What happens when you try import session (or track by track)... I exepct it will not work, but try?

Sounds like you might be making two backups one with CCC and one some other way? Are both bad? If so it says the session as likely corrupt when backed up. The usual recommendation here is three, ideally done in different ways/to different locations (e.g. one on cloud storage).

I hope when you say you tried to open an old session that sounds like it might have been an archive sitting on the third external disk drive you mention that you did not just try to open it in place... if so you are then running with zero backups and if Pro Tools ate that single archive you may be screwed. Always copy stuff out of a backup before testing, for any software/app. I'd copy the whole session folder into a scratch folder on the internal boot SSD (HFS+ or APFS whatever that OS uses) and test stuff there. I assume you have an internal SSD, I can't guess what model Mac Mini you have.

I can't follow what you really did you clone drives with CCC but has that anything to do with this problem--is that clone what you are trying to recover the session from? If so how exactly did you get there session off the backup/clone to try? Or was this session on the other drive and how do you get sessions there? Are all volumes everything except your new macOS boot volume is HFS+? (check don't guess, I suspect they are fine, but clutching at straws). And no other problems? No strange errors/warnings about disks or file systems in system.log in the Console.app?
Old 02-07-2021, 04:05 AM

Did some testing today and the simple truth is, that hard drive is completely broken. Everything you copy on it, is lost. I never had that with a brand new hard drive... new experience. But thank you for all your advice.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Did some testing today and the simple truth is, that hard drive is completely broken. Everything you copy on it, is lost. I never had that with a brand new hard drive... new experience. But thank you for all your advice.
Sadly, I have had this hit me more than once Be diligent on backing up EVERYTHING. And remember this piece of advice: If it doesn't exist in at least 3 places, its not backed up

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-10-2021, 08:53 AM

In fact I did not loose anything, because CCC has a feature called „safety net“. Everything deleted on my main drive, still existed on my first backup.