Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-23-2016, 10:34 AM

Default Waves Plugins disappeared from folder after creating New User

Hey People,

I've tried searching this, and have emailed Waves, but don't yet have an answer. This should be pretty easy

I created a new user on my Studio's Late 2012 iMac, running OS 10.8.5 and PT 11.3. No problems there. I went to double check that I could open and operate one of my existing mixes in the new user (which I set up for a guest engineer at the studio). When I opened my session, it said that "the following plugins were not in the plugins folder, and have been deactivated". They are all of my Waves Plugins. Every other plugin that I used on the session is just fine.

Sure enough, I checked the plugin folder where all other plugins are located... HD>Applications>Avid>Pro Tools>AAX Plugins... and there are no Waves plugins in there. When I go to my Waves folder (Waves>Plugins v9), all of my plugins are still there. I moved that Plugins v9 folder into the Avid plugins folder with the rest of the plugins that are working, but it is still giving me the "can't find plugins" message. I used to know how to fix this back in PT 7 & 8, but since we've moved on to AAX, I'm a bit lost.

I just need to know which plugins I need to move where so I can get back to my mix session and not waste a day while waiting to hear back from Waves. I have a Platinum bundle, some SSL stuff, CLA stuff, ADT, and others. I just don't know which icon to move where.

Thanks in advance!!!

-Mike
Old 01-23-2016, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Waves Plugins disappeared from folder after creating New User

Update - I've now tried every combination I can think of moving Waves plugins into the Avid plugin folder (from the whole folder to individual plugins), and restarting PT. I keep getting the same "plugins not in plugin folder" message
Old 01-23-2016, 05:14 PM

Question Re: Waves Plugins disappeared from folder after creating New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoline View Post
I checked the plugin folder where all other plugins are located... HD>Applications>Avid>Pro Tools>AAX Plugins... and there are no Waves plugins in there. When I go to my Waves folder (Waves>Plugins v9), all of my plugins are still there. I moved that Plugins v9 folder into the Avid plugins folder with the rest of the plugins that are working, but it is still giving me the "can't find plugins" message.
Moving that folder is not the best way to solve this problem. I suggest you move that folder back to where you found it.

Three questions:
  1. If you login as the user that existed before all of this, are the WAVES plug-ins loaded when you open the session?
  2. Is the user account that existed before all of this an adminstrator user or a standard user?
  3. Is the user account that you created an administrator user or a standard user?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the response Jonathan! I ended up having to uninstall my Waves plugs and then reinstall them, but I will answer your questions below.

1. When I went to my original (and previously only) account on the computer, and opened a session I had been working on, I was getting the same error message (plugins not in plugin folder). In other words, after I created the new user, the Waves plugins were not in the right place on either user profile.

2. The user account previous to all of this was an administrator user, and the only user ever on this computer.

3. The account that was created was a standard user, and not an administrator.

Ultimately, I have no idea why this happened. This is a studio use only computer, and is never online for browsing other than downloading software for the computer or sessions, or uploading files to be emailed. Also, to get this out of the way, this computer has never had any type of hacked plugins on it.

Either way, right now, it is running fine, and the sessions opened up as they did before the issue. I appreciate the help . If you have time and feel like letting me know what you think might have happened, I'd be interested to know to avoid the issue again!

-Mike
Old 01-25-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoline View Post
Thanks for the response Jonathan! I ended up having to uninstall my Waves plugs and then reinstall them, but I will answer your questions below.

1. When I went to my original (and previously only) account on the computer, and opened a session I had been working on, I was getting the same error message (plugins not in plugin folder). In other words, after I created the new user, the Waves plugins were not in the right place on either user profile.

2. The user account previous to all of this was an administrator user, and the only user ever on this computer.

3. The account that was created was a standard user, and not an administrator.

Ultimately, I have no idea why this happened. This is a studio use only computer, and is never online for browsing other than downloading software for the computer or sessions, or uploading files to be emailed. Also, to get this out of the way, this computer has never had any type of hacked plugins on it.

Either way, right now, it is running fine, and the sessions opened up as they did before the issue. I appreciate the help . If you have time and feel like letting me know what you think might have happened, I'd be interested to know to avoid the issue again!

-Mike
Secondary users can be a problem for some software and you never know that until it rises up and bites you. This is probably what happened to you. And sometimes there is s/w that only runs well or at all when run from an admin account. Are you using the new Waves Central or the older system? Some people have had issues with WC especially on older OSX versions. Waves only supports WC on OSX 10.8.5 for RTAS format plugins. AAX format is only officially supported on Yosemite or above although it does work on Mavericks. At least it did for the initial release of WC and that may have changed since that time.

QAPLA!