Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Digideroo mic technique

I've got a performance that I'm recording this weekend that has a digideroo and 2 native american indian frame drums. I'm just looking for tips on mics to use and where to try to place them to capture a good sound for mixdown.

any thoughts are apreciated,

gigs.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Digideroo mic technique

not quite sure about the mics on this, but if you find anything out could you please let me know. I intend to purchase a Digideroo pretty soon. I would imagine any type of mic that would be tollerant to high SPL's and low freq. would be good on these though. What type of mics do you have in your arsenal?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:50 AM

Chris Cavell has a whole collection of digiree doos. Not that it is relevant..

I recorded one with a 57 on a kick mic (amp) stand low, right underneath it just far enough away to avoid all the spit. Worked like a CHARM.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:39 PM

dijeridoo or didgeridoo,
but not digideroo
Old 10-05-2005, 03:30 PM

yeah, I think I talked to Cavell a while back about them if I remember right. I think it was him who told me that he used to carv them or something... not sure... been a while...
Old 10-05-2005, 11:17 PM

Yoko,
Boy what a difference knowing how to spell an instrument makes to those darn search engines. I found this thread on another board and I thought y'all might be interested to see what they say. (57 or 58 close miked by the bell).

thanks,
gigs.

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/u...9;t=000075;p=1
Old 10-06-2005, 09:22 AM

one question I have always asked also is: how the hell do you pronounce the name of one of these??

gigs: thanks for the link to the other thread, will check it out. I think I'm going to be purchasing one of these in the next couple weeks here. peace
Old 10-06-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Yoko,
Boy what a difference knowing how to spell an instrument makes to those darn search engines. I found this thread on another board and I thought y'all might be interested to see what they say. (57 or 58 close miked by the bell).

thanks,
gigs.

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/u...9;t=000075;p=1
That is the same thing I already told you.... 57 close to the bottom -watch the spit!
Old 10-06-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I've got a performance that I'm recording this weekend that has a digideroo and 2 native american indian frame drums. I'm just looking for tips on mics to use and where to try to place them to capture a good sound for mixdown.

any thoughts are apreciated,

gigs.

Hey bro,

I am an avid Dij collector and have amassed some 10 'doos from my many trips to Australia. I record this instrument often, and I can tell you that mic'ing depends on the player, and the instrument. It can really vary. If the instrument is an "air hog" meaning, it takes big lungs to move the air, then very little will be pushed at the bell. This means you can use mics like U47's C1's 414's (a fave) and the like. If there is a lot of air being pushed (narrow diameter instruments), then using a popshield will be a must if you want to capture the real intricate mouth clicks and vocalizations when micing closely.

Bloodwood instruments resonate much better than others, and yellow (wooly butt) instruments tend to have richer tonality. Again, this really depends on the depth of the player. In any case, mic the instrument in stereo as your imaging will be better in my opinion. And, know that almost all dij's are off at least a few cents in tuning.

Good luck, and please post something when you are done!

Cheers,

~ J
www.readyacoustics.com
Old 10-06-2005, 02:27 PM

Joel: didn't know you played Didj's man? I am working on finding some good wood to carv one I believe at the moment. Cavell suggested bamboo, but I am not sure what type would be best and where to get it locally here... I may just go find some Maple in the woods and go to town with it and see how it sounds. *shrugs* should be something making one atleast..