Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-09-2021, 08:50 AM

Default Which Pro Tools is best for my system?

Hello there,

I'm a heavy Ableton Live and Logic Pro X user and now I'm getting to learn Pro Tools. I've downloaded Pro Tools First so I can study/navigate/tweak on the program before I purchase it.

Questions:
1) When you buy or subscribe to PT, are you able to choose where you save your own files? Cause on this "First" Version you can't do that! Which is very annoying.

2) I'm running Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.6, Macbook Pro Late 2013 (I know it's almost an old school mac, but hey, it's running smoothly!).
Which version of Pro Tools would be the best for me? I mean, do I get to choose a version when I subscribe (i guess not, lol).

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2021, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Which Pro Tools is best for my system?

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can save as a session on a local disk, or as a project on the Avid cloud with the full Pro Tools.

I'm not a Mac guy, so someone might chime in with first hand experience, but here's the compatibility matrix: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

Looks like any version from 2018.12 and up should be compatible.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 03-09-2021, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Joel.
P.

Macbook Pro late 2013
Mac OsX 10.13.6

Scarlett Focusrite 6i6
Old 03-09-2021, 10:21 AM

And remember that PTFirst is a free version that has many restrictilns compared to PT full version so dont make a decision just off of PTF as it is basically just a ”Look here what you can’t do with me but you Can with my big brother”

And you can only use the plugins and synths etc that comes with or if you bought from Avid store or website. No 3rd party plugins or VI will work if you have some working k. Logic and ableton. All the AAX64 comatible ones WILL work in full version though so you know. The VST/AU versions need to either be AAX64 coded or you need a ”host” like Bluecat which is a $100 investment to take into consideration when buying into PT environment.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-09-2021, 11:50 AM

Some info can be found thru this link near the top of this(and every) DUC page:
Learn & Support
Click thru to find the Compatibility chart that shows what version(s) of Pro Tools works with your version of OSX. This can be crucial, as can blindly updating anything to do with OSX or Pro Tools.

Then here is some advice on versions(my opinions only)
1-PT First is not right for anybody. Skip it. If you want(or need) Pro Tools, you need a version that is not hampered by all the limitations of First. Learning Pro Tools make a lot of sense for most of us, so you may as well learn on a fully-functional version

2-There are 3 versions of Pro Tools: First(what nobody should bother with), Pro Tools(the standard paid version which is often referred to as "vanilla") and Ultimate(which costs the most and adds a lot of features that music makers likely don't need). With this in mind, the standard version of Pro Tools serves most of us quite nicely.

3-if you want to sample PT before you buy it, the 30 day free trial is the way to go. It does require an iLok 2/3(around $40) and an iLok account(free), but as many plugins use iLok(or CAN use it), its money well-spent. For those that complain about iLok; is it perfect? No, but what is? Is it easier than saving a ton of authorization codes? Absolutely(especially, the next time you need to restore a computer from some disaster like a drive crash, update that goes badly, or a virus/malware attack) Personal opinion; the only system I like as much as iLok is the Waves system that uses a USB stick.

4-do some research and self-education on iLok and the optional insurance and ZDT coverage. In 18 years, I have never needed it, but not everyone is as lucky, or as careful as I am when it comes to taking care of my iLoks. Knowledge is power

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-09-2021, 08:36 PM

You can choose if you want to use a ilok usb-dongle or use the ilok cloud for Pro Tools. Both have their pros and cons. If you want to try it, maybe first opt for the ilok cloud version at no extra cost.

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 10 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs 11.6.5 / Windows 10
Wavelab Elements 11

Music was my first love - shine on
Old 03-10-2021, 01:35 PM

To use iLok cloud, you need a 100% perfect internet connection 100% of the time. Most internet is not that reliable

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-10-2021, 01:45 PM

Just for a try i would not spend 50 Euros. In my case my internet has been down 1 time for 30mins in the last 2 years. But, feel free to do as you feel best

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 10 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs 11.6.5 / Windows 10
Wavelab Elements 11

Music was my first love - shine on
Old 03-10-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netmania View Post
Just for a try i would not spend 50 Euros. In my case my internet has been down 1 time for 30mins in the last 2 years. But, feel free to do as you feel best

Best
+1
Internet around here is extremely reliable also, so I'm happy with iLok Cloud. Only few glitches the last year has been iLok server problems. Usually very short (minutes) down-time, which of course is more problematic the more pro and business the nature of your PT use.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:13 PM

I am a bit late to this message.

I have been developing mac software for two decades and I think the performance of the M1 systems is very impressive. I am certain (hope) the Avid engineers see a real opportunity to take advantage this major improvement in the processor family. However, it is no small change. So, if you haven't pulled the trigger on a move on a new machine yet, I suggest you wait for the Apple M1 compatible version of PT.

In the meantime, pick a version that works well on your current system.

Also, I prefer the iLok dongle because of internet latency. Any app, not just PT, that depends on an internet connection to function at a base level is going to be frustrating with a capital F@!#. I don't care what Musk and his "cohort" have to say.