Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 01:12 PM

Default C\'MON! Can\'t Edit on my notebook W/O hooking up???

Is there no way to be able to make some simple edits, or bounces, or quick listens to my protools session while I am on the run? without having to drag my 002 with me??? or am I supposed to buy an Mbox to so I can have that "privilage?" even though the rumor is the Mbox struggles due to USB connect?

Seems like a nasty thing to do to customers/// if ya want us to use a dongle fine,, put it on the ILOK,,, don't make us lug our crap around everywhere we need to go just to do some simple editing or time aligning or track bouncing..........

oh yeah,, forgot my manners "PLEASE!"
Old 01-20-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: C\'MON! Can\'t Edit on my notebook W/O hooking up???

You guessed right... No hardware, no go! Mbox is the best solution.

Tubz
Old 01-20-2005, 01:29 PM

It erks me that Digi would allow that to be a solution! I can't think of anybody else that requires this kind of lock down! I just can't understand the logic behind it,,, maybe I am just having trouble understanding but what would it hurt to put a ilok registration that would allow mixing, editing and bouncing,, and disable the record feature? then maybe digi could calm down and quit being so scared that somebody might use and like someone elses hardware with there software??? I don't know,,,, I love pro tools the software and the hardware has always worked flawless for me,,,, its just the little things that kill I quess
Old 01-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Well, I can't argue against that. I don't have a powerbook, but I see the point. One of my friends work in exotic places round the word. Writing for symphony orchestras. On a laptop with a tiny pc-keyboard! So I see the point!

Tubz
Old 01-20-2005, 07:24 PM

I don't really see the problem. Has everyone forgotten how to research the product you want to buy before you make such a huge investment? It's practically IMPOSSIBLE not to know that PT won't run without the digi interface. That's the rules. If you don't like it, go with MOTU and Logic. But you'll have to buy Logic for a grand.

Why doesn't Digi put PT authorizations on an iLok? Because it would be cracked. Then everyone and their mom would be running around claiming to have a Pro Tools studio. I like the fact that I have a somewhat exclusive platform. It lends credibility to my work. Everyone knows the name Pro Tools, but how many of your local bands would know what having Mark of The Unicorn hardware means? I know for a fact that I've gotten some sessions simply because the band wanted to record to Pro Tools.

And besides, if all you want to do is time-align some drums tracks or make edits or whatever, get PT Free.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:47 PM

can you install PT FREE if you have 6.4 LE Installed as well?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:25 PM

If you've got a recent Mac which doesn't boot in OS9 you can't run PT Free.

This argument comes up every couple of months, when I traditionally chime in with my standard reply / idea:

Digi should sell a pcmcia (cardbus) interface for us frustrated powerbook users.

Then someone else usually says, "What about iBook users, they need an option too!".
-Their option would be to buy a powerbook
Old 01-21-2005, 12:36 AM

Respect to rockwithrespect. Great Answer.

RE: Re: C'MON! Can't Edit on my notebook W/O hooking up.

You're shooting first and asking questions second.
If you want to use ProTools you gotta buy the hardware.
There's lots of alternative programs for editing audio without hardware.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: C\'MON! Can\'t Edit on my notebook W/O hooking u

Quote:
put it on the ILOK
yes, please. it would be nice if digi provided protools authorization on ilok that would enable edits without being able to monitor. it sounds stupid asking to be able to use pro audio app without being able to listen to any audio, but there are certain times it would be useful to be able to launch protools just to do some monkey work.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: C\'MON! Can\'t Edit on my notebook W/O hooking u

Quote:
Quote:
put it on the ILOK
yes, please. it would be nice if digi provided protools authorization on ilok that would enable edits without being able to monitor. it sounds stupid asking to be able to use pro audio app without being able to listen to any audio, but there are certain times it would be useful to be able to launch protools just to do some monkey work.
I guess the problem is, when Digi is not able to write a WORKING CoreAudio Driver for their OWN hardware, HOW will they be able to write a Driver for "third party" hardware like the Apple Soundmanger aka "Apple build-in Audio"?

perhaps when the iLok had an Audio port the whole issue would be turned.

that the real secret behind it.

regs