Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2013, 04:18 PM

Default Pro Tools 11/10 hanging on startup, crashing Mac Pro :(

So I just updated from 10.6.8 to 10.8.4 and installed 11 on my Mac Pro 3,1 after years of a relative rock steady Pro Tools 9 setup.. and it has been a headache from the start. Downloaded from Avid, and it always hangs with a spinning ball at "Initializing Audio Engine" for about 5-6 MINUTES before continuing on to allow me to work. In addition, Pro Tools 10 also hangs for the same length of time, but instead when "Setting up MIDI".

I searched online, and found a post from DigiSupt saying this may happen if installed without clean uninstalling the previous Pro Tools, so I wiped both and did a fresh install.

No luck.

And as of today, my trusty Mac Pro has crashed 6 times with Pro Tools open.

Why did I ever do this upgrade?? I am losing valuable hours of productivity, and the first 2 crashes happened DURING a paid session. UNCOOL.

Anyone have ANY ideas whatsoever?
Old 07-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11/10 hanging on startup, crashing Mac Pro :(

Oh... and although I installed the new Digi 003 drivers, I have a blank screen screen and zero control surface usability on the console with Pro Tools (either one) open.

Disaster!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:43 PM

How did you go from 10.6.8 to 10.8.4? A brand-new install on a clean drive I hope. If you "upgraded" on top of an old OS that is a potential problem-causer, especially if you jumped 2 major versions like that.

Are you running PT 10.3.6? That is the only version of PT10 that will co-install with PT11.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 PM

I upgraded from the Mountain Lion App Store download... With as much stuff and as many apps as I have, I couldn't just wipe my drive and start fresh- especially given that with the download, it doesn't even save anywhere where i can wipe and reinstall.

I installed the version of 10 that came with the 11 installer- I was coming from 9.0.6.

I don't even have the option of wiping my drive and installing, as I don't have a physical copy (or even a .dmg) of Mountain Lion.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:19 PM

Yeah, it's likely to be some conflicting bit of old crap remaining from OSX 10.6.8 or PT9 that hasn't got removed while upgrading. I'd also recommend a clean OS install, on an empty drive/partition, as your starting point.

Why not get an external drive and create a fresh OS and PT11 install on it. Gradually install the other stuff you need. Still use your existing drive to work with. Eventually, when you are sure everything is fine on the new drive, clone it over to the old one. Of course unless you cloned your existing drive before installing all those updates, it's going to be painful to get that drive back to where it was.

You can re-download mountain lion from the app store. Before you do, have a little search on the net. You'll find articles telling you where the download gets temporarily stored before you do the install. At that stage you can grab a copy of it and burn to disc or backup to another dive.

I'm assuming you've downloaded the new PT11 003 driver?

If so, it only works properly in PT11. You will get a blank screen on the 003 and no control surface functionality when using the new driver with PT10. The new driver does give you use of the 003 as an audio interface, but without the rest of it.

Hopefully Avid are working on sorted that mess out, given that switching between PT0 and PT11 is a right royal pain given that if you want 003 control surface support, you have to deinstall the current driver, reboot, install the driver you need, and reboot again, every time you want to switch versions.

I've created an extra partition, so I've got one with PT10 and the other with PT11, both with the appropriate driver installed. It is much quicker to reboot into the other partition than to go through the driver change rigmarole.

But this situation limits the much heralded benefits of PT10 and PT11 co-installation.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)