Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-22-2006, 12:41 PM

Default EUREKA! Dell M1710 magic bullet

I have been struggling ALL day trying to get a Dell M1710 laptop to work with MBOX pro and LE7.1.2
the 1710 is a VERY fast laptop for all other uses so foresaw little problem..how wrong was I ;_0

I have had the dreaded buffer issues whatever I did..no amount of buffer setting changes ,trying disabling xp services and hardware as per the troubleshooting guide made any difference at all.. I was about to give up , when I remembered a trick from a pc game I used to play
When protools is running , go to task manager
select protoolsle.exe, right click
set affinity
UNCHECK CPU1 leaving only CPU0 ticked (this forces protools to use only one processor)
This is NIGHT and day...
HORRAH..its smooth, responsive and fast..
This fix will have to be done EACH time protools runs (no real biggie) or you will need to disable processor 2 in the hardware profile (but that will affect every program run in that profile)

Out of interest , using the supplied demo session , Im getting usage of only 8-10% on that single processor- theres a LOT more horsepower to be used .
addendum..I just filled every tracks 5 inserts with dverbs..still smooth as silk !
Bear in mind there are NO changes to my config except the affinity trick.

Wireless is on, network is on all services are on..its even running anti virus and zone alarm....

now this machine IS a modern, blazing fast dual processor machine..the very latest in fact, but protools seems to only want to use 1 processor- I thought version 7 was supposed to fix that?..go figure!

I hope that helps someone else..I was tearing my hair out here LOLOL

cheers

Bill P
Old 11-23-2006, 03:09 AM

Default Re: EUREKA! Dell M1710 magic bullet

Hi again

some more tests..
It seems that MIDI recording/playback makes the buffer error come back very occasionally.. so I took the plunge and tried the hotfix for dual processors
this one ( it would seem that this one is NOT just for AMD processors.)

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?o...ticle&sid=3964

It would seem that the reg entry change had already been done by the hotfix..so far so good
I am delighted to report all is now well with midi.
PT is happily running on BOTH processors with no hiccups, and midi also seems fine.

I hope that helps someone having similar issues

also I found this site , which is very useful for stripping down windows for audio applications
http://www.torq-dj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109

I will report back if anything starts misbehaving

for now, a happy bunny !

cheers

Bill P
Old 11-23-2006, 03:42 AM

Good that your system is working better.

Check out Martin Walkers excellent articles in Sound on Sound.
Especially "PC Musician: XP Tweaks For Music
The Audio Tweaks That Work - And The Ones That Don't!"
from the september issue.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep0...ician_0906.htm

There is alot of myth about the background services of WinXP. Martin clears alot of these.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:43 AM

Lode

cheers for the link.. Im a protools tdm user (have been for years) and also a big pc user , but this is the first time I have tried to merge the 2 together
Seems black magic is sometimes involved, as is often the case with windows

Bill P
Old 11-23-2006, 06:54 AM

hey there

good to hear this laptop is cutting it

i'm looking into getting one myself

which spec did you get???processor speed??? amount of ram?????

which external audio drive do you use????

and which windows installation do you have???it looks to come with media center which i've heard is incompatible

I wonder if you could do a virtual instrument test....
if you have any softsynths maybe you could see how many you can load up...i'm using atmosphere,battery and am looking to get absynth 4 and fm8...these are all quite hungry so I am curious to know how the system holds up

thanks for any help

enjoy your machine
Old 11-25-2006, 05:50 AM

Hi again

after further investigation , I spoke WAY too soon..
Midi really is an issue with this setup..it will happily play back 24 track audio sessions, but try ONE track of midi , and the buffer error sometimes reappears.
I have now tried everything..and I mean EVERY thing , to resolve this .
I even reinstalled windows JUST for PTLE on its own partition , with EVERYTHING pared down, but have finally given up now.
This laptop is one of the best around..eating up pretty much every app.
I guess protools is different. having read most of the threads here, it really does seem that LE and pc's are WAY too fussy to try on anything other than a few qualified laptops..unlike OTHER audio progs which run great on most.
I have been a Mac user of PT HD for MANY years, and am a BIG fan. How stupid of me to assume that my VERY powerful laptop would run LE....all I want to do is record some midi and play it back...not TOO much to ask is it now

sigh.......

Bill P
Old 12-29-2006, 08:38 AM

Having recently picked up an XPS 1710, I am curious to hear if you have found any workarounds for your issues. I was hoping to set up a PTLE system on mine.

Thanks, Tom.