Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 07-05-2001, 06:51 PM

Default SSC Output Weirdness

OK, so I discovered the first quirky thing about SSC sound outputs. Chime in if you can reproduce this or if you have a similar system and it doesn't behave the same way.

The system:
Digi001 and PTLE 5.1.1
Sawtooth G4/OS9.1/320RAM
All 5.1.1 extensions including Digidesign control panel and Direct I/O
SSC 3.0

I usually leave the sound output in the apple sound control panel to 'digidesign' so I can preview CDs and other soundmanager apps using the digi box and my reference monitors. This is my default setting.

IF you open SSC with the soundmanager 3.1 option already checked in the Setup prefs box from the last time you used it, you get NO audio output through the system. NONE. Direct I/O option is greyed out, and DC runs fine when toggling to this, and then closing SSC and opening PTLE.

IF you open SSC with the DC option checked already (left that way before quitting) you then can go ahead and check the soundmanager option and it works fine - with audio through the 001 box. Direct I/O is still greyed out.

IF you want Direct I/O, you have to release the 001 card, by deselecting 'digidesign' in the apple sound control panel. Set this to internal. Then open SSC, and voila - Direct I/O 5.1.1 appears an option. IF you choose soundmanager, audio comes out the tiny built in speaker as expected, and DC works fine.

So I just have to remember to always reset the sound output from within SSC to DC, so I can then preview banks with soundmanager. Am I the only one going loopy over this?
Old 07-05-2001, 10:34 PM

Default Re: SSC Output Weirdness

You can not pre-audition SSC per built-in sound system and access digi001-card
at the same time. this two compete over the soundmanager.
You may be able to do this w/ TDM system, I guess.

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Cannabis ]
Old 07-06-2001, 05:13 AM

Default Re: SSC Output Weirdness

Right, thats why when the soundmanager uses the Digi001 card, you can't use Direct I/O. I do understand that, and illustrated it above - its just not documented anywhere.

The problem is, that you CAN use SSC via soundmanager through the 001 card - but you have to be careful of the last sound output preference used for SSC. Again:

With nothing else open, if I open SSC with DC option checked, and switch to soundmanager it works fine. Audio comes out of the 001 to my speakers through the soundmanager application.

IF I open SSC with Soundmanager previously checked - it doesn't output audio at all, and switching to DC and back to SM doesn't work either. Its some kind of a bug, albeit a minor one.

Try it yourself and see. I just think its odd and should be documented somewhere. When I first opened SSC, with the soundmanager already checked (default pref), and digidesign selected as the soundmanager app -> NO AUDIO OUTPUT - not a great way to test your brand new software purchase.