Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2020, 09:06 AM

Default Should ILok's be replaced periodically?

Hi there.

Not sure where to post this - so thought I'd start here...

Do ILok's ever "wear out"?

I've had mine for a few years now and started to wonder if I should replace it.

I currently have Gen 2 - and notice they have Gen 3...

It works well - but as things can and do - wonder if one day it will quit working because of its age...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Sparky
Old 12-06-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Should ILok's be replaced periodically?

I would recommend you purchase Theft and Loss Coverage (TLC) and purchase a second iLok to transfer your licenses to in case of physical damage or loss of your original. In the meantime, there's no need to periodically replace them.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
I would recommend you purchase Theft and Loss Coverage (TLC) and purchase a second iLok to transfer your licenses to in case of physical damage or loss of your original. In the meantime, there's no need to periodically replace them.
Agree 100%. You might get a newer iLok3 and leave the iLok2 as a backup. The 3rd gen are smaller and all metal, making them tougher(less likely to break).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-06-2020, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the quick replies.

Just looked on the ILok site - the TLC is part of the ZDT package - and not a separate or independent option...?

Sparky
Old 12-06-2020, 09:40 AM

I’ve used iLok for 15 years now. The only time I’ve had a problem was when I had my iLok plugged into a front USB port on my PC. I had pulled my computer out to access the rear and snapped off the iLok with my leg when I returned to my chair. Since then, I keep my iLok, elicenser, and cmstick in a powered USB hub without any other problems. But, I do have a spare iLok in case I ever have another problem, and if you’re a working pro, it makes sense to have zero downtime coverage with TLC for instant license recovery.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-06-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I’ve used iLok for 15 years now. The only time I’ve had a problem was when I had my iLok plugged into a front USB port on my PC. I had pulled my computer out to access the rear and snapped off the iLok with my leg when I returned to my chair. Since then, I keep my iLok, elicenser, and cmstick in a powered USB hub without any other problems. But, I do have a spare iLok in case I ever have another problem, and if you’re a working pro, it makes sense to have zero downtime coverage with TLC for instant license recovery.

Thanks Top Jimmy for the insight...

Not so much a working pro - but a serious home studio guy... so being without my system - would still be kind of a PITA while I got things sorted out...

Sounds like a spare ILok should be my minimum at this point - and will order that today...

Sparky
Old 12-06-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies.

Just looked on the ILok site - the TLC is part of the ZDT package - and not a separate or independent option...?

Sparky
Correct. TLC is included for free with ZDT and is not available on its own. TLC requires you to have your computer online to refresh it at least once every 90 days (not required to have your computer online the whole time, just to refresh TLC). This is to make sure people aren't scamming the system by selling iLok, etc.

ZDT is an absolute no brainer at $30/year. The spare iLok won't really help you unless you have ZDT.

Last edited by originalscottyg; 12-06-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
The spare iLok won't really help you unless you have ZDT.
This...
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:19 PM

Sparky1, if you're a home studio user whose iLok doesn't move around with them and whose dongle only holds the Pro Tools license and maybe one or two plugins, ZDT and the spare iLok may be excessive. I have never experienced a hardware fault and I bring mine from studio to studio constantly.

From what I hear, Avid has a good track record for reinvoking licenses lost due to iLok faults. That said, if you have many other licenses on your iLok you will have to reach out to each developer individually and hope that they're willing to replace the license for you. They have no obligation to do this but may be more than happy to, to keep you happy. The advantage of ZDT is that PACE (iLok) will sort that out for you. You only need to provide a replacement dongle onto which they'll transfer the licenses.

Honestly, it felt like a bit of a shakedown the first time I paid the yearly ZDT fee but the peace of mind is worth it for most of us.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:21 PM

Thanks JingleDjango.

Yeah - I've got quite a few licenses on my ILok... not sure why I never considered the ZDT before.

When I checked the ILok site - it's really not that expensive - and would make life simple in the event of a failure...

Thinking that's the way to go...

Much appreciate everyone's insight!

Thanks,

Sparky