Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-25-2002, 04:11 PM

Default DINR or Waves Restoration?

I've used DINR quite a bit so I'm wondering if Waves Restoration is better at broad band noise reduction. Apart from the downside of it being audiosuite only, does anyone have a subjective opinion/comparison?
Old 03-25-2002, 07:51 PM

Default Re: DINR or Waves Restoration?

I've only used the demo of waves restoration. There's no comparison. It beats DINR hands down. In fact, DINR is a joke compared to it (sorry DIGI, facts are facts) Its by far not perfect, But its undoubtedly the best noise/click/etc. yet in my opinion second only to standalone units like Cedar or sonic Solutions No Noise. In fact, in SOME case it might give No Noise a run for the money.
I've always had trouble successfully getting DINR sample a section of noise and remove it without hearing artifacts. With waves I was able to do MUCH faster with MUCH better results.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:29 PM

Waves. I'll say it again...Waves
Old 03-25-2002, 08:56 PM

I've also used both. I got more use out of the Waves plugs than the DINR. It didn't help Digi's cause any that the DINR hum removal only worked on vintage farms. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2002, 10:19 PM

The Restoration bundle is incredible. I just cleaned up a tape of a live concert (soprano, oboe & piano) that had every manner of background noise, and I can't believe how wonderful it now sounds.

BTW, I wouldn't bash DINR too hard. It's been out a LONG time, and technology keeps moving a long. When DINR was the only game in town (for PT), it was certainly useful.

One problem I've noticed with the Restoration Bundle, however, is that the "Restoration Library" which is installed by the application in the extensions folder can potentially cause incompatibility problems with other applications. In particular, for me, Finale 2002 is flaky when Restoration Library is enabled.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-25-2002, 10:39 PM

Thanks for all the replys, it's what I was hoping to hear. Now it they could only release a TDM version.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:39 PM

I'll add yet another plug for waves...it rocks! I just used it to clean up some very poorly recorded dialog tracks. Lots of background noise, A/C, hiss, rumble, etc.

Cleaned it up just fine. Of course it can't perform miracles, but I was absolutely floored by the results.

Don't walk, run with your credit card in hand.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:17 AM

Definitely Waves. I never could get
good results from the TDM version
of DINR. Strangely though, when I
had the Audio Suite version that worked
OK for me, go figure. The Waves
X-Noise and X-Click are fantastic.
Just watch out for the heavy duty latency
in X-Noise.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:16 AM

Sure DINR has been out longer and therefore may not have as-up to date code, but it did cost about $1K.
Any product that costs that much should either be supported (upgraded, made more current, add capabilities etc) or they should offer a Cross- Grade of some sort to a worthy replacement.
The fact is, digidesign has a habit of releasing expensive software products and then not support them after the initial release.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:57 PM

Try CEDAR DNS 1000. Kicks a**. No artifacts at all. If you have lots of stuff to get clean it is worth the investment.