Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2022, 01:40 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You don’t say what Avid support did so how can anybody here who might have a clue know if they did anything useful or were a complete waste of time?
Again, thank you for your suggestions, all of which have been tried before without success (Except re-installing Mac OS). Saying what Avid support did would take pages, and they didn't fix the problem so I will spare you the details of the wild goose chase.

Quote:
There are *many* of these Studio systems in use, if this problem was hitting others you would have people on here screaming about it. And they are not...
I'm sure there are *many* of these Studio systems in use, but I'm not sure how many are using 3rd party interfaces and needing to configure the Playback Engine.
I started testing Pro Tools in Aggregate and only realized there was a problem when I wanted to configure the Playback Engine.

It would be good to know of someone with the same configuration who can see the dropdown menu populated in Playback Engine. Just because I am the only one talking about this does not mean the problem does not exist.

Quote:
How can you “just use the Apple System audio” if you cannot select that in the playback engine dialog. Which is what I am trying to get you past. I laid out a series of things to try. For a reason. It’s only showing the aggregate device. So delete that device entirely. What happens then? Surely that was tried already?? Trash prefs… has that even been done here yet?
If there is no dropdown menu in Playback Engine, there should be, even with no 3rd party drivers connected.
I don't think I need to get past this because it shows there is something wrong.
When whatever is wrong is fixed, I will see a populated dropdown menu.
How this is fixed does not depend on the dropdown menu, the menu is just a symptom of what is wrong.
Yes the aggregated device has been deleted and the rest of things you suggested did not solve anything.

As I said, Avid admitted they had had a problem with Avid interfaces not connecting with the Mac Studio (did you hear anyone screaming about that?). They said this was now resolved.
It is entirely possible that a similar problem exists with Avid's connection with 3rd party interfaces, only apparent to anyone who wants to change the Playback Engine to something other than Aggregate.

I appreciate your trying to help, but I really think that the first step is finding out if anyone has the same configuration fully working before trying to fix what may be an Avid implementation problem.
Until then there are only assumptions.

Fwiw I have been working with and troubleshooting Macs since 1989.
I know MA can cause problems and I also know that a clean install may fail to resolve the problems.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
but I really think that the first step is finding out if anyone has the same configuration fully working before trying to fix what may be an Avid implementation problem.
Until then there are only assumptions.
Have you tried Holding down the Letter (N) Key while launching PT ?

Also :What connected audio devices are showing in your Audio Midi set up and Your Mac sound (or is only PT agg. showing there as well) ?? They should at least be showing the Mac speakers

Also You might try listing your system in your system in your signature line .
So people could actually then know if they have the same config without having to look back at previous posts ......

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-16-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
Migration assistant works fine. Stop wasting hours reinstalling everything like I did. It made ZERO difference. It really isn't that big of a deal.
This is sorta like twisting your right arm to the left, then the right, and then saying, "nope, I still have that stupid headache!"

As mentioned many times by many people, your issues have nothing to do with MA.

What Darryl has suggested holds true. In some cases (not all), MA can cause issues, often too deep to notice immediately. People come around the forum complaining about sluggish this and error that, never knowing what's causing it. It 100% *could* be deep-rooted corruption not obvious to the naked eye, in some forgotten area of a folder you're not even aware of.

It happens, and it's frustrating. One way to avoid these ambiguous errors/crashes/lethargies is to keep a clean system. MA, I'm sorry to say, is not recommended if a clean system is important to you.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
I know MA can cause problems and I also know that a clean install may fail to resolve the problems.
True. But... it may solve the problems. It would be great if there was a way to know in advance, before going through the steps, because it's tedious and time consuming. Unfortunately, there's no way to know, unless you find the issue elsewhere. I'd keep looking for other culprits.

I'd also consider moving it to a new thread in order to discuss this specifically, cuz once my Studio arrives I'm gonna be all over this thread.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:46 PM

Mac Benchmarks

Single-core performance same for M1s and M2.
Studio excels in multicore.

Edit: I'm sorry, there are no M2 benchmarks yet.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:29 PM

Yeah... I'm a bit grumpy about it because my system actually worked better after migration vs clean installing. BUT! Today I finally figured out one of the main issues I was having. Ever since the clean install, I was having nearly constant eucon crashes. I had to run logic in rosetta today for a certain plugin for a few minutes, and it made me think to try Eucontrol with rosetta. It worked! It unbelievably made it the whole day without my S3 or dock disconnecting, and the iPad app didn't crash once! After talking to support, apparently it's supposed to automatically select rosetta when it's installed, and that's why they never asked me to try it, but that didn't happen on my system. Odd that this isn't common knowledge or talked about anywhere. So... Run Eucon in rosetta on your apple silicon machines!! I think it even threw less CPU playback errors today due to this.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
Yeah... I'm a bit grumpy about it because my system actually worked better after migration vs clean installing. BUT! Today I finally figured out one of the main issues I was having. Ever since the clean install, I was having nearly constant eucon crashes. I had to run logic in rosetta today for a certain plugin for a few minutes, and it made me think to try Eucontrol with rosetta. It worked! It unbelievably made it the whole day without my S3 or dock disconnecting, and the iPad app didn't crash once! After talking to support, apparently it's supposed to automatically select rosetta when it's installed, and that's why they never asked me to try it, but that didn't happen on my system. Odd that this isn't common knowledge or talked about anywhere. So... Run Eucon in rosetta on your apple silicon machines!! I think it even threw less CPU playback errors today due to this.
Can I ask you if you use the layouts feature on your S3 with Logic?
If so, does pressing A, B, C etc on the S3 hard crash Logic (after a period of time running Logic and Eucon) ??
This has been my experience (not just on the Mac Studio) for many versions of Eucon, Logic and various versions of the MacOS.
Apparently Apple are aware of some (non-specific) issues in their Logic Eucon code.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 06-16-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Can I ask you if you use the layouts feature on your S3 with Logic?
If so, does pressing A, B, C etc on the S3 hard crash Logic (after a period of time running Logic and Eucon) ??
This has been my experience (not just on the Mac Studio) for many versions of Eucon, Logic and various versions of the MacOS.
Apparently Apple are aware of some (non-specific) issues in their Logic Eucon code.
I use it with pro tools always, but since logic is very new to me (well, new again, I used it a lot 20 years ago), I haven't really used it how I use pro tools with the s3. I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back. So far it's worked fine for a few fader moves or insert a/b's here and there.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:28 PM

Thanks for getting back. I would be curious to see how that goes for you.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 06-17-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Have you tried Holding down the Letter (N) Key while launching PT ?

Also :What connected audio devices are showing in your Audio Midi set up and Your Mac sound (or is only PT agg. showing there as well) ?? They should at least be showing the Mac speakers

Also You might try listing your system in your system in your signature line .
So people could actually then know if they have the same config without having to look back at previous posts ......
Thanks for trying to help and a good idea to add the signature.

Yes, AMS shows my list of interfaces.

The configuration is Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.5, Mac Studio M1 Max, Mac OS 12.4.

No need to list anything else as this is the basic, stripped down setup I have been testing with.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and no need to make further suggestions until someone, with the same configuration, can confirm they can see the dropdown menu populated in Playback Engine.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I don't want anybody to waste time suggesting solutions that have already been implemented.