Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2013, 01:54 PM

Question Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Every DAW developer that wishes to support the EuCon protocol has to apply for the SDK via the Avid Developer Program. From what I understand, the EuCon SDK agreement has a statement that one can not go out and build a control surface.
So then the only reason to get the EuCon SDK is if you have DAW software and want a EuCon surface to work with it, correct?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
So then the only reason to get the EuCon SDK is if you have DAW software and want a EuCon surface to work with it, correct?
That's been my understanding. As far as I know, any 3rd party hardware would have to use HUI. We should probably get this 100% confirmed.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM

Then I misunderstood the purpose of Eucon.

I thought we were going to get a bunch of new controllers from other companies but it looks like it's just allows everyone to buy an Avid controller to go with your favorite software.

A step in the right direction but it ensures that no one is going to make a serious Pro Tools controller except for Avid.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM

I quote my own message 211 dated 07-04-2013 in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music Belgium View Post
I will not throw away my beautiful 48 fader ProControl in perfect working and cosmetic condition and buy a new Avid controller, just to be able to use PT HD 11. And I'm willing to pay for a driver update, however I feel it should be free because we already payed a lot of money in the first place.

So I will hold on to my PT HD 10 + HD 6 Accel for the foreseeable future and I will buy PT11 native, just for compatibility reasons and for pre-production with 64 bit memory addressing for VI's.

Actually I do have the budget to go to HDX2 + new Avid I/O's and Pro Tools HD 11, but only if my 48 fader ProControl can continue to work with Pro Tools HD 11. I do not have the budget to throw away my ProControl (original value around $50k-$60k) and buy a HDX2 + new Avid I/O's + a new D-Control or D-Command

So in the end Avid is loosing big time, they will only sell me a Pro Tools 11 upgrade worth $299.00. If they make a ProControl driver for PT HD 11, they can sell me Avid hardware worth $50k.
Today Avid did loose the sale of hardware worth $50k.

And probably Avid did loose another $50k-$80k today if you consider the possibilty of me buying a new Pro Tools controller within a few years to replace my 48 ch. ProControl, if there would have been a driver for my ProControl in PT HD 11.

No idle threat here either.

Avid, you will reap what you sow, this is a universal law...

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I have a few questions for anyone who still owns a Control 24 or a Pro Control.

1. When did you buy it? New or used?

2. If when you bought it, you were told that it wouldn't work with Pro Tools 11 in 2013, would you still have bought it?
Got mine new in 2002 after trading in a Mackie db8 as the hui control in the db8 was very basic.
So a bit ironic that the hui control was implemented more fully in later OS versions for the db8!! And of course it would still be working in PT11.....

It would have definately made me think twice and would have gone another way as for such an investment I would have expected it to work in PTs until the unit totally failed, more towards 20 years!! Not pre-meditated murder as Avid have effectively done.

Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch when they say "bring out your dead..." And the waggon is loaded up with bodies, but for one body to say "I'm not dead yet" and the relatives says "soon will be".

We know that is the Control 24 and Pro Control

Cheers
Scotsman
Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch when they say "bring out your dead..." And the waggon is loaded up with bodies, but for one body to say "I'm not dead yet" and the relatives says "soon will be".
And the guy said but I'm not dead - and then They hit him on the head with a club !!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 PM

Classic Python!

Darryl Ramm
Old 07-26-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I have a few questions for anyone who still owns a Control 24 or a Pro Control.

1. When did you buy it? New or used?

2. If when you bought it, you were told that it wouldn't work with Pro Tools 11 in 2013, would you still have bought it?
I bought it used.
But I sold my D8B and a second set of monitors for it.
Which will actually still work in PT11 ironically.

If I had of actually known it would have been announced it would not work way les than 1 year after I bought it. NO HECK NO

Make matters worse I have HDX and at the time I honestly didnt know the Control 24 would not work in HD11.
Iv spent over 18 months waiting on a useull amount of plugs for that as well.
Not to mention HD10 has been the worst installment of anything iv ever used.
I might have had a stable system 4 of those 18 months.
wasnt until 10.3.3 came out I could actually use it and somewhat depend on it.

I can only plan for the reality that is presented to me.
If that happens to not be the reality then all buiseness decisions were really based on no knowledge at all but marketing propoganda

iv been trying to sell my Control 24 for the last year to avoid this issue. but wouldnt you believe than in a area of 10,000,000 people within a 2 hour drive
Iv had only one person reply in a year. reallity I think not.
Now its basically worthless or at least by 50% of what I could have gotten for it last year. and 100% worthless to me if I ever want to use HDX for what its for 64bit. In all honesty I havnt turned that dam oversized paper weight on it 3 months.
The next time I use PT it will be with a new C24 or Im outa PT
Not a happy camper. Misinformation cost me a completely waisted year of my life
I built my studio to be future proof for the next decade but this dam c24 issue has literly put a end to that
Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by P,B,S

After considering all that. Consumers may come to the conclusion AVID products are short lived and not viable for a long term commitment.
I believe so.
If I knew something would be short lived, I just wouldn't go with it.

I bought my Control/24 in 2005.
I never dreamed it would be useless after PT 10. (8 years)
In purchasing, I never considered that to be honest with ya.
I thought it would work till it died and then I'd just fix it if I could and I did.
PreSonus 1824c
Faderport 16
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12
Studio One 6.5 Pro
Logic Pro X
Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P,B,S View Post
I built my studio to be future proof for the next decade but this dam c24 issue has literly put a end to that
Sorry to hear that.