Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2001, 03:25 PM

Default Compression and Limiting - External DSP

I'm trying to set up a reasonable home studio without too much external gear. One problem I'm having is how to get compression on vocals DURING recording to avoid digital clip on the disk.

I've tried running compression as an insert on the track while recording, and while the output monitor of the compressor suggests all is working OK (i.e no clip), the recording monitor of the track shows clip as though the compressor wasn't even there.

How can I get compression BEFORE going to disk without a hardware solution? CAN I??

I've been looking at the ISIS XL which says that is has DSP in "the box". If anyone is using it (or any other multi-track input device for that matter), I'd love to hear from you as to whether the A/D converters in these boxes offer compression in the signal chain, i.e PRE disk.

Thanks
Matthew
Old 03-28-2001, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Compression and Limiting - External DSP

Pick up an inexpensive DBX (like the 286, or the mini-comp if you can find one) or the presonus compressor, the blue-something..Point is you can get a small outboard comp for under $200. I've got a few cheap ones (DBX) and I run everything through compression on the way in. Just to knock off a few db in order to keep my levels up. If you don't get the levels hot, on any signal, you will not be using the full abilities of your a/d converters.

RM