Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2001, 02:53 PM

Default unable to create tracks

Free version was running fine until I downloaded a new driver for my video card. Now I get a fatal error (access violation) when I try to create a new track or import audio, and the program shuts down. I've tried re-installing and re-downloading the software. It won't let me open existing sessions either....it can't read the tracks. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I'm thinking it has to do with the new driver, but I'm not sure what to change.
Old 03-06-2001, 05:58 PM

Default Re: unable to create tracks

If your system was working before you installed the new video driver, and now it's not working then the video driver is the culprit.

Was there a reason for you to upgrade the video driver? Was something not working correctly and the new driver was supposed to fix it? Or did you just get the newer driver because it was available, and newer than your version?

I often am guilty of fixing a system that ain't broke just because a new driver exists. I like to have the newest stuff too. But sometimes newer ain't better.

I keep a backup of my system using Symantec's "Drive Image 4". Whenever I install a new driver for anything I test for a while, and if the system is worse than it was before, I restore my drive image. That way I can try anything I want, and it's totally harmless.

If your system worked okay before the "upgrade", just put the older driver back. When the driver installer asks if you want to keep the newer versions of certain files, answer "no to all" so that your older drivers get put back in their entirety.

I strongly recommend either "Drive Image", or Norton "Ghost" for system drive backups. Takes all the worries out of trying new things. I keep an image of my C drive on another partition for quick resore, and I also keep a split file version on a set of CD-Rs just in case of a total harddrive failure. No matter what happens, I can restore my C drive to a perfectly working, optimized setup in no time. From the harddrive backup it takes about 20 minutes. From the CD-Rs it takes a bit longer.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 03-06-2001, 07:40 PM

for a video driver to stomp on audio gear is a bit of a worry. Have a look in Control Panel/System/Device Properties for any obvious conflicts (yellow exclamation marks over devices).

at the risk of asking the obvious, are you absolutely sure the video driver you downloaded is the right one?? there are drivers and there are drivers...

while I agree with quickdraw about fixing things that are'nt broken, I always start to solve a problem by making sure I have the latest drivers for my hardware.

having said that, and assuming EVERYTHING else on your machine is working fine,the ACTUAL message you describe suggests a problem with PT or the file system.

Do me a favour and post the ACTUAL error message in it's entirety, and I may be able to help you out. Especially useful is any "error code" shown by the pop-up.

MP
Old 03-08-2001, 12:36 AM

Some graphics cards hog the PCI bus, and as a result can interfere with sound card performance. Try turning down the graphics acceleration a notch or two in control panel > system > performance > graphics.