Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Default Re: "Sticky" for Correct Uninstall-Reinstall Process for Pro Tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Clean uninstall removes 'core' plug-ins, drivers, etc., but since PTIEP and TL Space are 'add-on' plugins they will not be removed by either uninstall method.

Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack and Avid Virtual Instruments installers are 2 different animals. PTIEP installs Hybrid, Structure, Strike, Transfuser and Velvet. AVI installs Boom, DB-33, Mini Grand, Structure Free, Vacuum, Xpand2, and the AIR effects. If you did a clean uninstall of PT, then you'll need to run the Avid Virtual Instruments in addition to the PT installer.

The Installation Guide linked from the 10.2 and 10.3 pages recommends this.

You're welcome.

Thank you for your response!

Do you recommend the "Safe" or the "Clean" uninstall option?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Avid

Post Re: "Sticky" for Correct Uninstall-Reinstall Process for Pro Tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi63 View Post
Do you recommend the "Safe" or the "Clean" uninstall option?
That's really your call. A Clean Uninstall is more thorough but will take longer since you'll have to run the Avid Virtual Instruments installer after installing Pro Tools. If your system has been pretty solid, then a Safe Uninstall (and then a PT install) should be sufficient.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM

Excellent!

Do I need to run the Avid Virtual Instruments 10.3 Installer if I move up to Mountain Line (10.8)?

You wrote in another Thread "The Avid Virtual Instruments installer was updated to 10.3 on the Mac side simply for Mountain Lion.", but I'm not sure exactly what that means (Compatibility, Gatekeeper, etc...).

Thanks greatly for the help!
Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi63 View Post
Excellent!

Do I need to run the Avid Virtual Instruments 10.3 Installer if I move up to Mountain Line (10.8)?

You wrote in another Thread "The Avid Virtual Instruments installer was updated to 10.3 on the Mac side simply for Mountain Lion.", but I'm not sure exactly what that means (Compatibility, Gatekeeper, etc...).

Thanks greatly for the help!
Nearly there - really useful to have DigiTechSupt answer izzi63's specific questions as he evidently understands the issues/pitfalls related to IEP, TL Space, etc. (I also have both). Thanks guys!

As neither 'safe' or 'clean' uninstalls affect IEP or e.g. TL Space, I guess we can take it that we do not need to run these installers again.

The only doubt/issue still 'up in the air' (I believe) relates to the VI installation over IEP (risk of Structure Free impacting the Structure 'full' setup). So, if we deduce that the only change to the 10.3 VI installer is Mountain Lion compatibility (possibly 'signed' for Gatekeeper?), then a 'safe' uninstall would appear to be the safest bet at this stage?

DigiTechSupt - it would be really useful if you would close off this topic with confirmation of what exactly changed with the 10.3 VI installer + if it is run following a 'clean' uninstall over IEP, will Digidesign/Avid folder structure and Structure itself be 'in order' ... then make this a 'sticky'. Thanks again!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:47 AM

Just noticed that DigiTechSupt was kind enough to also post in one of the other threads on this topic - see below / http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=328401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27
I see that Avid have a new 10.3 VI installer as well as the main PT installer. Instructions suggest I first uninstall 10.2 - what would this do to my PTIEP installation? Will I need to re-install this - I guess I may have the downloads on time machine? Any IEP users out there moved up to 10.3?
It shouldn't do anything to your PTIEP installation.

Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack (PTIEP) is different than the Avid Virtual Instrument (AVI) installer. The AVI installer was updated to 10.3 on the Mac side for Mountain Lion.

If you do a clean uninstall before reinstalling PT, then you'll need to run the AVI installer.

If you do a Safe uninstall before reinstalling PT, you won't need to run the AVI installer.

Looks like the IEP (and I assume TL Space) installations will 'survive' whether one goes for a 'clean' (followed by 10.3 VI installer) or 'safe' uninstall (in which case, the new VI installer does not need to be run).

Please post your results here. FYI, in another similar thread ( http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...52#post1966452 ), jrsyer posted:

I installed the instruments right over the old. Expansion pack works perfectly. I had updated them all prior to 10.3.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:21 AM

Step-by-step PT removal guide in a readme.pdf is a great idea...but

an installation applet (for a reasonably stable program) should do that automatically. The install applet should post a log of what it will be doing and then what it has done...
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
Step-by-step PT removal guide in a readme.pdf is a great idea...but

an installation applet (for a reasonably stable program) should do that automatically. The install applet should post a log of what it will be doing and then what it has done...
Agreed ... thing is that e.g. the PTIEP installer already had (known) issues before the 10.3 upgrade. It hasn't been updated for some time and I'm not sure if we're waiting/hoping for Avid to address this or AIR (since Avid recently divested themselves of AIR).
Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Done. For the record:

(i) Clean uninstall - subsequently checked and the "AIR Content" + "Trillium Lane" folders remained

(ii) Mountain Lion 10.8.2 upgrade

(iii) PT 10.3 installer

(iv) 10.3 VI installer

Everything, including third-party plugins, appears to be in order ... once installed and 'fixed', IEP evidently survives PT upgrades (essentially because it remains untouched) ... not surprising that users are cautious however!

AIR/Avid - please fix the IEP installer + thanks again DigiTechSupt!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 AM

I'm glad Avid has a blanket recommendation for uninstall, since it only takes about a minute and a half, and people are less likely to have issues. Not sure why there's any hostility about this.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I'm glad Avid has a blanket recommendation for uninstall, since it only takes about a minute and a half, and people are less likely to have issues. Not sure why there's any hostility about this.
Not really any hostility to the recommended uninstalls ... I suspect that users who have recently installed IEP in accordance with Avid's (Digidesign's) guidelines (a long process in itself exacerbated by the size of the downloads if one doesn't have the DVDs) are just being extra cautious to reduce the risk of ruining their setups ... the initial installation experience has probably made us extra-wary! :)