Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 PM

Default Clipping issue

Hey guys. Having a problem with some patches hoping you can help me with. I have some patches where I am using another piece of rack gear in the effects loop of the 11R to tap into some additional amp models. When I engage the loop, it is clipping the Main outputs. But when I check the Return Level meter, it is hardly peaking past half way up the scale. I then dropped all other effects that might be producing gain and have the same result. Finally dropped everything other than the loop and again same issue.

So now I have a patch with only the effects loop active, am still clipping the main outputs with not even close to clipping the loop return and don't understand where the gain increase is coming from. The Rig output is also at 0. I would very much appreciate if anyone could help me track down this issue. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Clipping issue

How do you have the loop level switch set on the back of the ER?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 PM

I am using the line level setting. I have been able to get the signal in check, but I still don't understand why there is such a big difference in the levels between the Loop return and the main output when there are no effects to introduce gain. Any ideas?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 AM

What piece/s of rack gear in the effects loop "to tap into some additional amp models" are you using?

Does it still clip in a patch with everything else active but the FX loop off?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Zedhed - The rack gear I am using for the additional amps is the AxeFx II. To your second question if I use all the internal amps and effects in the 11r I have no issues. It is when I I introduce the effects loop (of course disabling the amp and cab s in 11r) that causes the main outputs to clip. But if I look at the loop return level assuming that is where the issue is, it looks normal.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Let's see if I understand this... You have something in the loop. The loop return meters look OK. You're still getting "clipping at the outputs".

What does "clipping at the outputs" mean? You're pinning the outputs according to the main output meters...? Or you're hearing clipping at the outputs and the main output meters are not giving you a clip indication...?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 PM

That is correct - Loop return meters look OK but clipping at the outputs. This is also in a patch with nothing engaged but the loop. I pulled everything else out to try to trace the problem. Also, by clipping the outputs, I mean the output meters are pinned and I am hearing audible distortion as a result.

What is stumping me is that with nothing engaged but the effects loop, I don't understand why such a big difference between the loop return meter and the main output meter. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 PM

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you replace your loop device with an instrument cord (or two, if you're doing a stereo loop) from FX send to FX return? Do you still get the distortion?

And what happens if you set the loop level switch to stompbox level?

And how are your FX send and return levels set in the ER loop block?

And just to confirm, every block between the loop and the output is disabled?

What happens if you move the loop to just before the output block?