Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-23-2003, 09:16 AM

Default How do I sync Pro Tools to an external sequencer

How do I sync Pro Tools to an external device that has a built-in sequencer like the MPC 2000. I want to be able to record without shifting the MIDI notes because it recorded late.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:45 PM

Default Re: How do I sync Pro Tools to an external sequenc

Have the mpc send mtc (midi time code) into your midi interface.

In Pro Tools, click on the clock symbol in the transport bar to put Pro Tools 'online' . Once Pro Tools receives valid time code, it will start.

That's the abbreviated version. It's covered in the manual, too.
More info on system specs is always a good idea, too - it helps so that we can give more specific answers....
Old 10-24-2003, 06:17 AM

Default Re: How do I sync Pro Tools to an external sequencer

PT supposedly glitches when acting as a slave. I have PT acting as the master and have no problems. I like it done this way because you can play with the mpc by itself with out pt running. Just set up the wires. I think it is the PT out to the MPC in??? I gotta check the wires at the house. Anyway, set up the midi in pt. Then have pt send MTC at 30 FPS, then in the setup menu, set it to mpc to port. Shift 9 on MPC. Have it recieve MTC at 30 FPS also. Show the whole transport bar in pt. Click the conductor off, and set the bpm to what you want it.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:56 AM

Could I use midi clock instead? I could only use MTC? Now when I used MIDI CLock there was a latancey problem. It would start to record on the 3 of the 1st bar. How can I cfg PT so I don't have this problem? Am I doing it wrong by starting out in bar 1? I also use the MPC in sequence mode. Thank You in advance. This has been driving me crazy. I didn't have this problem when using Sonar.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:37 AM

I have it done as MTC and have no problems. Just make sure you have the pre roll set to 1 bar because the machines need a lil time to sync up. Also, in song mode everything has to be correct. like if there is a break on the 48th bar or whatever, that break has be be on bar 48 in the mpc. I do all the sequencing of drums on the MPC, and all my boards on PT, and it works great. Trust me, just set it up like that and you will have no problems. Like I said though, if you have a 2 bar loop and want to record it on 16th bar or whatever, make sure you have it specified in song mode, that you want that loop to start on 16.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM

can you post here or where I can find it how I must do this step by step, because I am about a week now trying it out on all sorts of settings but no luck
my keyboard does start to play in sync when hitting the spacebar

I have a CASIO MIDI KEYBOARD WK 1800, and a emu 3 editol midi interface USB
running pro tools 10.3.7