Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-31-2006, 08:02 PM

Default NEWBIE 1ST POST AND DUMB QUESTION/PROBLEM IM SURE

I jus bought MBOX 2 which came with ptle 6.8.1. I installed it however my 2.8hz AMD athalon 3700+ with 1 gig of ram and 1 40 gig 1 250 gig sata hard drives (i think) froZE AT 89 percent. SO I rebooted my computer and attempted to reinstall. However it wont let me re install without deletin protools an everytime I run the add/remove from Windows it doesnt remove it it says it does an then asks me to restart but then when I resetart its exactly where I left. SO then like a dumb*****. I came up witht he great idea to jus delete the whole folder becuz after 3 hours and a couple of 6 packs I was ready to throw my computer out the window. So now my mbox wont light up protools wont install or uninstall and for the first time in my life I feel like an idiot. Can someone pls help me before I kill myself. Thanx.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: NEWBIE 1ST POST AND DUMB QUESTION/PROBLEM IM SURE

Is this a dedicated computer or do you ave other things on it? Anti-virus in particular will kill Protools. If this is a new macine, I would probably just reinstall the OS, start from scratch.

Whatever you do, don't kill yourself. That won't fix anything.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Is this a dedicated computer or do you ave other things on it? Anti-virus in particular will kill Protools. If this is a new macine, I would probably just reinstall the OS, start from scratch.

Whatever you do, don't kill yourself. That won't fix anything.

So without an anti virus, I presume most of you guys have a dedicated Protools machine, not connected to the Internet
Old 06-01-2006, 02:00 AM

That - or...disconnect from the internet and disable anti-virus when running protools

Scott
Old 06-01-2006, 08:22 AM

Default Re: NEWBIE 1ST POST AND DUMB QUESTION/PROBLEM IM

I agree with the anti-virus thing. McAfee and Norton both did this to my monster machine running a Digi002R.

The best anti-virus is yourself. If you MUST have an A/V, NOD32 (eset.com) gave me no problems with PTLE...but that's just my computer. It also ate up less resources than the hogs of Symantec.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 AM

AVG's Professional OR Free antivirus is GREAT to use with Pro Tools. I have my antivirus running at the same time as my Pro Tools setup, to be more detailed, I can be recording a track and still have AVG completely turned on.

Norton sucks, even on my Mac.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
AVG's Professional OR Free antivirus is GREAT to use with Pro Tools. I have my antivirus running at the same time as my Pro Tools setup, to be more detailed, I can be recording a track and still have AVG completely turned on.

Norton sucks, even on my Mac.
Well, if you must have an anti-virus (I use AVG free on my internet machine), be certain to disable auto scan. You've been lucky. If it starts a disc scan while you are recording it WILL ruin your session. It is much better to disable the entire program (why wouldn't you?).
Old 06-01-2006, 11:47 PM

I've had the same experience as Kryst. No problems at all with AVG running while recording and mixing. Although, like markshan says, if is scans during a session, you could have a problem. If I'm running a very CPU intensive session and the email scanner pops on, I'll get a buffer error and playback will stop. Same if I'm bouncing a CPU intensive session.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 AM

Ah, see? That may be why I'm lucky. It isn't set to do any scan automatically. But I rarely run it, I'm lucky enough to not get viruses often. Besides, if I do, it pops up and alerts me right away, so a scan is normally done once every three months, when I'm bored. It takes so long, about 2.5 hours to complete because of the hundreds of programs and stuff I have LOL Oh well
Old 06-05-2006, 06:40 PM

Sorry I took so long to respond I had to take a break or i was gonna kill somebody.. its a dedicated system everythign disabled jus basic windows required funtions enabled no antivirus and nuthin else on my system either i put this computer together speciafically to mix an run ptle on an i use my other 2 computers to do everything else