Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2004, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Outboard Compressor Recomendations

So I tried out the Fatman today, it does have a nice warm sound, and it does come with a little noise too....Signal to Noise at 78db. Works nice on drums. I found that it is the best compressor I've heard on a bass, you just plug in, make your settings and it ends up sounding like something straight off a Sex Pistols or Joy Division record! That beefy and raw 70's Ampeg sound, Love it, but for tracking vocals, it added a little noise on soft passages but, then again I guess it is all depending on what you are using it for. I really tried to make it pump and breathe but it really did a nice job of staying transparent, I think I'm going to keep it, but I also think I still need to check out the RNC, or find a Joe Meek for the softer stuff.

Mindnoise, have you ever compared your Fatman to the RNC's? I've been scouring the net trying to find a local dealer that I could go to and check it out but no luck so far, but I must say every review I've read says the RNC is the best thing you can get for under $1000!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Outboard Compressor Recomendations

Quote:
Mindnoise, have you ever compared your Fatman to the RNC's? I've been scouring the net trying to find a local dealer that I could go to and check it out but no luck so far, but I must say every review I've read says the RNC is the best thing you can get for under $1000!!!
HI,

for short: No. I was desperate for a tube, back then and didn´t know the brand. And the Fatman was cheaper (and better IMHO) than the TLA 5021.

Now I am wiser but still happy as can be with my Fatman. It suites my need perfectly so that I am not in need of another compressor for now.

But I guess you said it all, already.

regs