Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-31-2000, 11:30 PM

Default MIX PLUS W/P CONTROL VS EUPHONICS W/ 1/2\" TAPE AND 888 24

I HAVE 2 OPTIONS FOR MIXING MY NEXT RECORD RECORDED ON MIX PLUS: MIX AT HOME ON MIX PLUS WITH PROCONTOL, WITH AMPLE PLUGINS, AND LEX 300 AND TC 3000 OUTBOARD VERBS; OR--GO TO PROSTUDIO AND MIX MY MIX PLUS FILES THRU AN ANALOG (WITH AUTOMATON) EUPHONICS BOARD--DON'T KNOW MODEL--COSTS 1/4 MILLION $--MIXING TO 1/2 INCH TAPE. ONLY PROBLEM IS OUR D/A CONVERSION TO THE EUPHONICS IS 3 OR 4 - 888- 24 UNITS. THE NORMAL MID/ HI END OUTBOARD BOXES ARE AVAILABLE IN THE PRO FACILITY.MOST TUNES HAVE ABOUT 50 TRACKS. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK WILL RESULT IN THE BEST SOUND QUALITY? THANKS!
Old 02-01-2000, 07:14 AM

Default Re: MIX PLUS W/P CONTROL VS EUPHONICS W/ 1/2\" TAPE AND 888 24

A good set of ears is your best tool. I have heard great records on $10K worth of gear and horrible ones on Megabucks of gear.

Never forget that!

George
Classic Recording www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 02-01-2000, 08:13 AM

I agree with George. Stay at home & put the money in your own pocket.
Old 02-01-2000, 09:28 AM

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REPLY--I'LL ADD SOME INFO: ASSUMMING SAME ENGINEER IN BOTH SITUATIONS, AND FOR REASONS I WON'T GO INTO COSTS ARE ABOUT EQUAL WITH THE TWO ALTENATIVES, I'D LOVE TO GET SOME OPINIONS ON THE CLEANEST, BEST SOUNDING APPROACH--WE ALL KNOW A GOOD ENGINEER ON DECENT EQUIPMENT WILL BE BETTER THAN A BAD ONE ON THE VERY BEST STUFF, (BUT IT NEVER HURTS TO REMIND US ALL OF THAT.) PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR OPINIONS ON THESE 2 EQUIPMENT OPTIONS. THANKS
Old 02-01-2000, 09:34 AM

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REPLY--I'LL ADD SOME INFO: ASSUMMING SAME ENGINEER IN BOTH SITUATIONS, AND FOR REASONS I WON'T GO INTO COSTS ARE ABOUT EQUAL WITH THE TWO ALTENATIVES, I'D LOVE TO GET SOME OPINIONS ON THE CLEANEST, BEST SOUNDING APPROACH--WE ALL KNOW A GOOD ENGINEER ON DECENT EQUIPMENT WILL BE BETTER THAN A BAD ONE ON THE VERY BEST STUFF, (BUT IT NEVER HURTS TO REMIND US ALL OF THAT.) PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR OPINIONS ON THESE 2 EQUIPMENT OPTIONS. THIS PROBABLY BOILS DOWN TO THE SOUND OF THE DIGI MIXERS VERSES THE EUPHONICS--I'M SURE THE EUPHONICS WOULD PROBABLY SOUND BETTER, BUT IT'S ALL MITIGATED BY GOING THRU THE 888-24'S . I WISH I COULD A-B BUT CAN'T, SO I APPRECIATE ALL EDUCATED OPIIONS AND GUESSES. THANKS
Old 02-01-2000, 09:39 AM

I mix on MixPlus with a ProControl almost everyday. I have not been back into my analog room to mix since last May. I just track and overdub in there.

Other clients that are not into PT still mix in our main room. I still like the sound of it but like all I can do in PT better and automation is better.

I agree, stay at home and let some good ears make it sound good.

George
www.classicrecording.com
Old 02-01-2000, 05:14 PM

AES i/o M3000 is a buzz , so is AMS RMX 16 via A to D etc.

2 x questions:
Who is the mix engineer & what is he quickest & most famliar with?
What Monitors?

At the Euphonics place?
At your place?

Also why do you put the word 'cleanest' in the same sentance as 'best sounding'? Are we dealing with math or music here?!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 02-01-2000, 05:32 PM

bryan, if you're looking at mixing on the euphonix cs series, then save your money and the hassle. it's not a magical sounding console. i've been working with a brilliant mix engineer who has been working at this for 30 years and he's now mixing almost exclusively on protools (greatly expanded). most engineers agree that a neve or ssl will typically sound better than anything euphonix has, but his pt mixes sound better than anything from any of these consoles. i guess my point is that you're not going to suffer any loss by mixing on your own system in your home, assuming your engineer is hip to it. if you are talking about mixing on the new euphonix digital, just be aware it's not really proven yet, but it is probably pretty cool. one is being installed here in nashville and my buddy there thinks it will be great. also, you can rent a 1/2" tape machine pretty cheap and run your mixes to that. well, sorry to be so longwinded. that's my 2 bits (only 22 more to go : ). good luck and congratulations on having so many options at your disposal.
Old 02-02-2000, 09:55 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by shawnosimpson:
bryan, if you're looking at mixing on the euphonix cs series, then save your money and the hassle. it's not a magical sounding console. i've been working with a brilliant mix engineer who has been working at this for 30 years and he's now mixing almost exclusively on protools (greatly expanded). most engineers agree that a neve or ssl will typically sound better than anything euphonix has, but his pt mixes sound better than anything from any of these consoles. i guess my point is that you're not going to suffer any loss by mixing on your own system in your home, assuming your engineer is hip to it. if you are talking about mixing on the new euphonix digital, just be aware it's not really proven yet, but it is probably pretty cool. one is being installed here in nashville and my buddy there thinks it will be great. also, you can rent a 1/2" tape machine pretty cheap and run your mixes to that. well, sorry to be so longwinded. that's my 2 bits (only 22 more to go : ). good luck and congratulations on having so many options at your disposal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SHAWNOSIMPSON: THANKS FOR YOUR VERY HELPFUL REPLY. DO YOU THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO MIX PT DIRECT OUT TO 1/2" (VIA APPGEE PSX 100) BEFORE TAKING THE MASTERS TO THE MASTERING LAB VS MIXING THE 24 BITS TO A 24 BIT DIGITAL MEDIUM FOR THE MASTERING LAB. I KNOW A LOT OF THE LABS LIKE TO CONVERT TO ANALOG FOR THIER PROCESSING.
Old 02-03-2000, 11:13 AM

Definetly Euphonix...
Baby Face...Hanz Zimmerman...Snuffy Walden...
They all agree with me!!!!!!!!!