Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-04-2021, 07:52 AM

Default pro tools 2020.12. Plan updates expired, re-update

I have perpetual pro tools 2020.12 with an update plan that expired in January and I want to increase the update plan for another year but without losing the perpetual license, that is, if the plan expires again, I can continue to use pro tools in the latest version installed. What would I need then to avoid losing my perpetual license and to update my pro tools to the latest version?
Greetings
Old 04-04-2021, 08:06 AM

Default Re: pro tools 2020.12. Plan updates expired, re-update

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...t-new-versions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-04-2021, 08:42 AM

Heah you need a Reinstatement Plan which Avid stopped sellining almost 2 years ago and if you find a delaer eho has that it will cost you around $299

Your plan has lapsed already and the 30 day grace period is over so the update support plan for $199 is not going to work.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-04-2021, 10:47 AM

Hello, good afternoon. Thank you very much for answering.
Let's see, I bought Pro Tools perpetual license + support plan and updates for one year and in January 2020 it expired, my job is as a singer and for economic reasons caused by the pandemic I could not update in that period of 30 days, and I have I've been looking at the avid page but they don't make it clear to me, according to avid I can do a crossgrade for a year, but then I lose the perpetual license? If so, I would have bought an annual license that was cheaper and they also gave support and updates for one year. Yes, the only thing I understand about perpetual license is that it is more expensive and when the support expires the program continues to work, even if you cannot update the program.
Yes, my plan has expired, but are you telling me that since 30 days have passed and if I buy a plan for 399 it won't work for me? because that's not what i read on the avid page. I hope to solve this question that I have and thus act appropriately to update my Pro Tools.
Thank you very much and greetings
Old 04-04-2021, 10:58 AM

It right there on the Avid page. They don’t offer reinstatement for expired perpetual license support plans.

You’ll have to move to a subscription plan.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:14 PM

Well, if this is the case, it seems very bad to me that there is not the option of not being able to update my plan even if the 30 days have passed, since the program is not exactly cheap. So according to them, in order to continue with the perpetual license, I have to buy the program again, that is, another 599 euros !!! or go to annual license and thus lose the perpetual license !!! so go scam
Old 04-04-2021, 04:30 PM

This Seller’s legit and has the lowest price for a new Perpetual license:

US $450 - Avid Pro Tools Perpetual License with 1-Year of Updates + Support Plan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avid-Pro-To...cAAOSwIgZeD1Zx
Old 04-05-2021, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well, if this is the case, it seems very bad to me that there is not the option of not being able to update my plan even if the 30 days have passed, since the program is not exactly cheap. So according to them, in order to continue with the perpetual license, I have to buy the program again, that is, another 599 euros !!! or go to annual license and thus lose the perpetual license.
So I was wrong in my numbers as they were for ultimate, I thought you had a Ultimate license, not a standard version so if you find a license for Reinstatement for Standard Version t is $299 but as Avid has 86’d all the Reinstatement licenses you need to either fo subscription ans loose the Perpetual or buy the standard Perpetual right out for $599 or chance it on ebay. Just remember Avid don’t support licenses not purchased via auth dealers so if you have issues and it coles out you have problems with the license you could be in for a headache.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-05-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Well, if this is the case, it seems very bad to me that there is not the option of not being able to update my plan even if the 30 days have passed, since the program is not exactly cheap. So according to them, in order to continue with the perpetual license, I have to buy the program again, that is, another 599 euros !!! or go to annual license and thus lose the perpetual license !!! so go scam

Not a scam.
Avid announced their new prices and subscriptions long ago. They’re totally subscription based now with Pro Tools. I don’t like it either but it is what it is.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I have perpetual pro tools 2020.12 with an update plan that expired in January and I want to increase the update plan for another year but without losing the perpetual license, that is, if the plan expires again, I can continue to use pro tools in the latest version installed. What would I need then to avoid losing my perpetual license and to update my pro tools to the latest version?
Greetings

You already have a perpetual license, that will work "forever".

Just keep using your current version (2020.12) for the next 4 or 5 years, and then if you feel the need, buy a new perpetual license at that point.

That might sound like a frightening prospect, but it really isn't. You might be surprised at the number of professional facilities that are using seemingly outdated versions of PT, but when the whole system is running smoothly, and reliably, it's counter productive to update software, operating systems, or hardware, just because a new version has a few more toys.

I'm still churning out work on a PT12 system (from before they moved to frequent updates, let alone a subscription model), and I know several places that are still running PT10, and PT11 - even one or two that stuck with PT8.

Sticking with your current version for 5 years is perfectly doable - you just need to pay attention to the slim possibility that an OS update may potentially cause software instability, and be prepared to roll back to your previous OS.

Worst case scenario, you have to keep your system "frozen" for a couple of years (no OS updates, no hardware updates, keep an eye on any new plug-in updates).

If you go out and buy a new perpetual license now, you've completely defeated the point of getting one in the first place (you've basically massively overpaid for a 1year subscription), and could easily find yourself in the exact same boat next January, if you forget, or are unable to afford the renewal.