Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 05-29-2022, 03:30 AM

Default Best way to get HDMI 7.1 LPCM into a MTRX?

Not sure if anyone who does some gamedev might know this..

Let’s say you already have a 7.1 monitoring system with MTRX, and you want to add a 7.1 LPCM source from a game console devkit or something, which is via HDMI. What’s the best way to get that into the system? I assume there might be some kind of HDMI to ethernet meant for Dante, which you could use with some kind of thru or splitter so that you can still pass HDMI video to TV. If so what would the latency issues be like for monitoring the sound with picture?

That’s just a shot in the dark, i’m not too familiar with Dante.. or is there some other setup that would work?
Old 05-29-2022, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Best way to get HDMI 7.1 LPCM into a MTRX?

The "or something" doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

HDMI decoders/deembedders to multi-channel digital audio don't really exist for the obvious copy protection reason.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

HDMI decoders/deembedders to multi-channel digital audio don't really exist for the obvious copy protection reason.
I’m trying to avoid my current ‘it works’ situation.

Console HDMI to a Yamaha home theater receiver. It has 8 RCA preamp outs, which go to a rack unit that brings them to line level. 8 1/4” outs of that to cables which would take up a whole MTRX A/D I/O card.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post

Console HDMI to a Yamaha home theater receiver. It has 8 RCA preamp outs, which go to a rack unit that brings them to line level. 8 1/4” outs of that to cables which would take up a whole MTRX A/D I/O card.
If you have Dante then you could add a cheaper Dante ADA.
Ferrofish, Focusrite, Tascam have cheaper options than MTRX AD.

Or find a used SSL Alphalink and go Madi into the MTRX.
Or a used Apogee Rosetta 800 and go into the MTRX over AES.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 05-29-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Also, a development kit can disable hdmi (hdcp) encryption so this is more just about the easiest way to get hdmi’s 8 pcm channels into dante i guess..
Old 05-29-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post

Unfortunately that's the way the cookie crumbles. As pointed out you can find lower-cost outboard converters, but ~$2.3k for a 8-input card maybe just live with that. Stepping up to MTRX was never going to be a bargain. And I'll add there is a used AD card on Reverb ~$1.7k in the LA area.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-29-2022 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:28 PM

Arvus sell a couple of products designed to do stuff like this. https://www.arvus.com

One that does straight HDMI to AES, and another that does Atmos over HDMI to a variety of I/O including Dante. The latter in particular is pretty expensive. Something like $5k.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:39 PM

For 7.1, I use the return bitstream audio (Toslink optical) from my display going to a Dolby DP564 which decodes to AES3id outs. And then I use Neutrik AES/EBU impedance transformers to send that 75ohm unbalanced AES output into the MTRX 110ohm balanced AES inputs.

Nice thing is the DP564 accepts word clock from the MTRX. And since the audio is a return from the display, anything plugged into the display's multiple HDMI (or any application like DisneyPlus, Netflix, HBOMax) is fed back to the decoder.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Arvus sell a couple of products designed to do stuff like this. https://www.arvus.com

One that does straight HDMI to AES, and another that does Atmos over HDMI to a variety of I/O including Dante. The latter in particular is pretty expensive. Something like $5k.
Wow that looks perfect but insanely expensive yeah. I’m sort of surprised there’s not just a cheap hdmi to dante thing similar to the audinate avio. And it wouldn’t need A/D either..