Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Default O/T iPad 2 or 3 Any thoughts

A little off topic, but the tech minds at the DUC usually have plenty of opinions and a ton of knowledge to give me a good idea what's best for me. I've never owned an iPad, just the iPhone/iPod. Besides reading books, magazines, facebook, browse the web etc. Would I gain anything in the iPad 3 for music? Or in general if someone has one and previously had the 2, is it enough of a leap to spend the extra 100 bucks. Just trying to get some opinions off the beaten path, maybe a little real world insight.
Thanks Neil
Old 08-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Re: O/T iPad 2 or 3 Any thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
A little off topic, but the tech minds at the DUC usually have plenty of opinions and a ton of knowledge to give me a good idea what's best for me. I've never owned an iPad, just the iPhone/iPod. Besides reading books, magazines, facebook, browse the web etc. Would I gain anything in the iPad 3 for music? Or in general if someone has one and previously had the 2, is it enough of a leap to spend the extra 100 bucks. Just trying to get some opinions off the beaten path, maybe a little real world insight.
Thanks Neil
I'm a big advocate of the iPad in the studio. There are so many cool apps for music production. Control surfaces, instruments, synths, even full DAWs with some fairly impressive capabilities.

But the biggest thing the iPad still has going for it is it's capability as simply a touch screen monitor. With Air Display, or various other screen sharing/VNC apps, it's really the best way to get a touch screen in the studio. Capacitative monitors are still pretty expensive, and certainly aren't nearly as versatile as an iPad. So imagine putting a nice sized touch screen hovering over your setup, where you can keep plugins or various other windows you'd rather have at your fingertips than hiding somewhere behind the mix and edit windows.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
I'm a big advocate of the iPad in the studio. There are so many cool apps for music production. Control surfaces, instruments, synths, even full DAWs with some fairly impressive capabilities.

But the biggest thing the iPad still has going for it is it's capability as simply a touch screen monitor. With Air Display, or various other screen sharing/VNC apps, it's really the best way to get a touch screen in the studio. Capacitative monitors are still pretty expensive, and certainly aren't nearly as versatile as an iPad. So imagine putting a nice sized touch screen hovering over your setup, where you can keep plugins or various other windows you'd rather have at your fingertips than hiding somewhere behind the mix and edit windows.
Ok I'm sold . Now should I just get the new one. Or would the 2 be just as good? For what you mentioned.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Ok I'm sold . Now should I just get the new one. Or would the 2 be just as good? For what you mentioned.
I'm kind of split about this myself, at the moment. I don't actually own an iPad yet, but I've been using a 1st generation iPod Touch since it came out. The most use out of it I've got over the years is as a remote for my Macbook. Whether just for iTunes, a 48 channel DAW controller, or screen sharing while I'm in another room/house/city... it's the most versatile remote system I've ever used.

Really, the only reason I want an iPad is for the same purposes but with more screen real estate. The new iPad is really nice, and the screen on it is absolutely beautiful. However... because it has such a high resolution, it might make screen sharing with a DAW a bit more challenging because there are a lot of windows that cannot be resized (most plugins, MixControl, etc), which leads me to think they may appear too small to be worth using on a touchscreen (at least without having to constantly zoom in and out).

For that reason, I may end up just getting a used iPad2, or maybe even an old iPad1 if the price is right.

D

Old 08-04-2012, 03:59 PM

I have the 3rd gen ipad. Get it. You can actually do the retina resolution via air display with it. (not usually practical, but its still pretty cool to know you can use it as a 2048x1536 touchscreen.

Also, definitely buy garageband for ipad, just for playing with the smart strings, it's worth it. (it is not the same app thats on your mac, its actually better imo.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
(not usually practical, but its still pretty cool to know you can use it as a 2048x1536 touchscreen.
See, that's my issue. 2048x1536 is a higher resolution than any of my other screens, and it's only @ 10". I'd rather have 1024x768 on the smaller screen, so MixControl will fill it without my having to zoom in. Unless perhaps you can just set Air Display to half the resolution.

D

Old 08-04-2012, 04:55 PM

Wonder what the Surface Pro will be like? With a full OS that opens up some additional opportunities, especially with a Core i5.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Wonder what the Surface Pro will be like? With a full OS that opens up some additional opportunities, especially with a Core i5.

Cheers,
Opportunities to not have any OSX support.

D

Old 08-04-2012, 06:49 PM

i am using the new or "3" and it rocks with the v control pro app. plus the ability to look at my email while band members are bickering and not have them seeing what i am doing is priceless!!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Ok. I bought the "new iPad". 10 minutes in but, after having the iPhone so long, it's like a new old friend. Now after a week of sticker shock I will be buying as many new music related apps as I can see fit for me. . Thanks for the help guys