Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 04:30 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee62 View Post
$75? I’m not dumping my perp license. Just not going to renew in 2020 @$199
Worth a shot. LOL!

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-19-2019, 04:50 PM

When they moved to the subscription updates as opposed to paid major version upgrades, I was not happy, but I went along with it. I thought $99/yr was a lot to ask to maybe get updates that maybe are useful to you. I was more than happy to choose my major version updates for a few hundred dollars. I stayed on PT 9 for years, and I only did that upgrade because my Digi 001 interface died.

But $199/yr is too much! I had everything I needed in PTLE 5.1! Sure, it was nice to get 3rd party interface support in v9, and track freeze and clip gain (I forget what version those arrived in) are great features that I was happy to pay for. But 2019.5 offered my absolutely nothing new! Nothing! $99 down the drain!

Based upon Avid's track record of taking money while providing nothing in return, I think I'm done here. I'm tempted to extend my perpetual support for another year before July 1 (Ooh, half price! What a bargain! NOT). But then again, I will feel really stupid if I give Avid another dime!
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 06-19-2019, 05:28 PM

If I move to a per-month subscription for Ultimate, do I lose my perpetual license?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:34 PM

I wonder if Avid knows that their programmers are getting really good and are about to come out with a stable version within the next months. If so, people with perpetual licenses would stop renewals and would park their systems at whatever version it is. If you're on subscription you will park your system there also for stability's sake but will have to continue to pay to use that version.

Maybe I'm paranoid thinking that but in any events they just gave me the answer I was looking for as a Logic user who was keeping a PT license for the odd project I receive from people and that I have to send back in PT format. I sure won't pay 200$ a year for that and I will not renew sooner and give them money for thanking them to screw me good. I will keep the last working version I'm entitled to and do my transfers from that version. Better off renting just a month in the future when I need PT if that version doesn't work anymore.

Blink
Old 06-19-2019, 05:50 PM

So a 101% increase, $199
Ironically the price of logic, and the end of yearly bleeding of my
Wallet.
Thanks avid, logic it is!
Old 06-19-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTPerson View Post
If I move to a per-month subscription for Ultimate, do I lose my perpetual license?
Yes
Old 06-19-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Yes

Yea see $crew that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-19-2019, 07:49 PM

To those of you who for whatever reason think I smootch Avid' Butt..

You want to know what whizzes me off about this whole thing?

Avid have given their customers less than 2 weeks to make a decision that can have a HUGE impact on their businesses.

What the fark is up with that?

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-19-2019, 08:03 PM

I'm going to weigh in about this all the sudden change to nearly mandatory subscription and raising license costs of perpetual renewals and such.

Let's get one thing out of the way, there is no "industry shift to subscription licenses". There never has been. The people we should be blaming to some extent is Adobe, because we, the consumer allowed them to dupe everyone with their subscription model.

Back when Adobe Creative Suite was still only perpetual, it was very expensive and unaffordable to the everyday computer user. Their software suite cost literally thousands of dollars and so it became one of the most heaviest pirated softwares of all time. Thus Adobe lost a ton of money. With the whole world finally on broadband, Adobe shifted to a subscription model for a monthly fee. This meant people got what they needed, and Adobe got to make up for all the YEARS they weren't getting paid.

People complained, but it didn't matter, they paid the subscription cost anyway and thus it became "successful". Since then, everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Microsoft, Apple, you name it.

Because of this, us, the consumer ends up paying for it dearly. Companies can slow down update releases to almost a halt, and it doesn't matter, you still have to pay to keep using it. I hear what hell subscriptions are because a company a friend works for pays $16,000 PER YEAR for Adobe Cloud and has been paying for the last 6 years he said. $16,000 a year folks. Just to RENT a piece of software. If they could buy a perpetual license they would in a heartbeat to stop the bleeding.

Avid knows they are the industry standard, and quite frankly we can all see where this one is going. It took 6 months to get a new release out, granted, it probably did take some massive rewriting of the code to accomplish this 2019.5 release.

What if car companies shifted from being able to buy a car to rentals only?

I can understand the casual Pro Tools user getting a subscription.. maybe they don't need it every day. But perpetual users DO. If they force everyone eventually to surrender their perpetual licenses there is no telling what the ramifications will be.

They could also do a perpetual freeze, meaning version 2019 will be the last version you can purchase a perpetual license for and then force subscriptions for 2020+. The same way you can buy CS6 perpetual, but of course you wouldn't be able to open any projects created in Creative Suite.

The only reason there was ever a "successful" subscription model is because consumers DIDN'T SAY NO TO IT. However, let's call it what it really is, its "guaranteed revenue". You get nothing, and companies get paid with a constant stream of revenue.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
To those of you who for whatever reason think I smootch Avid' Butt..

You want to know what whizzes me off about this whole thing?

Avid have given their customers less than 2 weeks to make a decision that can have a HUGE impact on their businesses.

What the fark is up with that?

Yea they got me by the short hairs because my perpetual renewal for vanilla PT was August 3 2019.

So I had to renew pretty much immediately @$99 or let it expire because $199 is not a option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro