Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2017, 02:43 AM

Default Loudness - short term max?

job came to me as a series for DVD. no specs at all- so I just treated it as film - altho since it was reworking of TV series from about 4 5 years ago when they just specified -10 dBFS ceiling decision was made to go in stereo since lots of the source was stereo.

now client has just sent specs - because they have *just* sold it on- so I will have to rework about 6 hours of program time.............

the specs say meet R128 -23LUFs target loudness level..

no mention of short term max =

never bothered me before - since I only had to do lots of dialog mixes to spec.

this however is something like Maxsteel- robots blasting etc...

searching around I find ( cos I asked them and they are being a bit dense about it - nothing new there 23 LUFS? more like FFS )

" The current target loudness level for broadcast material, as stipulated in EBU-R128, is an integrated loudness level of -23 LUFS (±0.5 LU) with a maximum permitted true peak level of -1 dBTP (or -2dBTP if being compressed to codec like mpeg layer 2) and a maximum short term loudness of -18 LUFS (≤ 0.5 +LU) "

obviously job is a lot easier if I can exceed -23 on short term max

actually they havent specified a +/- on the longterm

only stated "comply with EBU R128 -23LUFS "

most jobs I had before where +/- 2dB on 23LUFS

any advice? TIA