Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2021, 02:10 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio Speaker Pop When Changing Sample Rates

I have no idea how RME manages to do soft-start and soft-off and silent sample-rate switching but Avid and UA seem to use massively loud relays and can't prevent pops/clicks through the speakers either. It just is how it is.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I have no idea how RME manages to do soft-start and soft-off and silent sample-rate switching but Avid and UA seem to use massively loud relays and can't prevent pops/clicks through the speakers either. It just is how it is.
Really? That hasn't been my experience. I don't remember this being an issue with my OMNI and it doesn't happen with any of the UA Apollos that I've had. The relays are loud, mechanically speaking, but I've never heard a pop through the speakers (and on my MTRX Studio, the pop is quite loud). The pop is also unaffected by any internal gain-staging, so the only way to prevent it is to mute it at the speaker level. Sure, it's doable, but it's a pain and not really something that should be an issue with pro-level gear.

Besides, Mike Thornton, whose opinion I trust, says that his MTRX Studio is silent. Maybe certain manufacturer runs are quieter than others?

I mean, if this is just how it is, I can work around it — I don't even change sample rates often — but I just want to be sure while I can still make an exchange.

Thanks again everyone.

Ryan
Old 09-06-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccam View Post
Really? That hasn't been my experience. I don't remember this being an issue with my OMNI and it doesn't happen with any of the UA Apollos that I've had. The relays are loud, mechanically speaking, but I've never heard a pop through the speakers (and on my MTRX Studio, the pop is quite loud). The pop is also unaffected by any internal gain-staging, so the only way to prevent it is to mute it at the speaker level. Sure, it's doable, but it's a pain and not really something that should be an issue with pro-level gear.

Besides, Mike Thornton, whose opinion I trust, says that his MTRX Studio is silent. Maybe certain manufacturer runs are quieter than others?

I mean, if this is just how it is, I can work around it — I don't even change sample rates often — but I just want to be sure while I can still make an exchange.

Thanks again everyone.

Ryan
For Avid interfaces, I can only speak about the Carbon personally, plus this report here for MTRX Studio. I don't have an MTRX myself.
The Carbon clicks and pops for everything. It's Avid's newest interface - if they think it's acceptable, or can't engineer around it, then the Carbon proves it's how they think interfaces should be built.
I've had a Twin and an X4 and an X8P. They were all very noisy with internal relays - start-up, sample-rate changes, line/mic changes. I think you're right that start-up and shut-down speaker noises were suppressed.

I have over a KW of power-amp sitting in front of my speakers - any sounds from my audio interfaces are uncomfortable, and the Carbon is definitely that.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:38 AM
Avid

I would recommend setting the Adapt to within DADman to DigiLink 1 such that the MTRX device follows any rate changes you do in Pro Tools when shuttling between sessions.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-06-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
I would recommend setting the Adapt to within DADman to DigiLink 1 such that the MTRX device follows any rate changes you do in Pro Tools when shuttling between sessions.

best,

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Mine is already setup to do that.

Jeff, could you clarify all this though — should there be a pop through the speakers when changing sample rates? Is that normal behaviour? I posted a recording of it in post #4 of this thread.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 09-07-2021, 05:55 AM
Avid

I just looked at this again on my bench. I certainly have audible relays switching - however I can't perceive any pops when changing between multiple rates with Pro Tools sessions using Adapt to DigiLink 1.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-07-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
I just looked at this again on my bench. I certainly have audible relays switching - however I can't perceive any pops when changing between multiple rates with Pro Tools sessions using Adapt to DigiLink 1.

best,

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Obviously, hearing the relays in the actually unit isn't an issue, it's just the pop that happens in the speakers.

And again, correct me if I'm wrong in my testing here: The pop (the one that I posted a recording), happens when I have the MTRX Studio set to "Adapt to Digilink 1" and I change the sample rate in the Audio MIDI Setup. The pop also happens if I change the sample rate in Pro Tools.

Thanks again for looking into this. I'll reach out to my Avid dealer.

Best,

Ryan
Old 09-07-2021, 06:11 AM
Avid

I'm not currently using the Avid Audio Server (as Kyle discussed above) so all of the sample rate changes I triggered originated from Pro Tools and told DADman to toggle MTRX Studio based on the Adapt to settings.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-08-2021, 12:48 PM
Avid

Hey Ryan

Can you please start a case and let me know the case number so we can dig in a bit?

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Case-Creation

Please provide as much detail as you can on the issue. What you have tried, what your clocking looks like, DADMan screen shots etc.

If you have any issues feel free to DM me.

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 09-08-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Hey Ryan

Can you please start a case and let me know the case number so we can dig in a bit?

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Case-Creation

Please provide as much detail as you can on the issue. What you have tried, what your clocking looks like, DADMan screen shots etc.

If you have any issues feel free to DM me.

m
Thanks Mark. I'll DM you.

Ryan