Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-11-2003, 09:37 PM

Default How to init. ext. fire-wire drive [B]"Take 2"[/B]

I tried to post something a minute ago and somehow it is someone else's post - I don't know...I'll try again.

I am running ProTools LE on a Mac G4, OS 9.0.1 and just bought an external LaCie firewire, 120 GB, 7,200 rpm drive.

I know you're supposed to initialize and format the drive using Apple's Drive Set-up utility, but Appl'es utility doesn't seem to recognize the drive- only stuff on the SCSI chain it seems, but not firewire.

Instead, I initialized and partioned the drive using LaCie's utility "Silver Lining" v6.4.5a. This seems to have worked OK but when I copy a ProTools session to a volume and try to open it, ProTools needs to locate the audio files- After locating the audio files, it says the volume is not specification compliant. I think this drive should work OK and maybe I need to initialize it using Apple's utility, but I can't get it to work.

Anybody can help???
Old 01-11-2003, 09:53 PM

Default Re: How to init. ext. fire-wire drive [B]"Take 2"[/B]

Install the update to OS 9.2.2 for better FW support.

You simply init the drive using the Apple Special->Erase Disk... menu item in the Finder.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-11-2003, 11:58 PM

Default Re: How to init. ext. fire-wire drive [B]"Take 2"[/B]

I have a LaCie 80gig external FW; when I bought it at the local Apple store, I took it home with the understanding that I had 10 days to return it if I had problems. I called LaCie tech support, who told me directly "do not use" the silver lining to init the drive for Pro Tools. I formatted following these instructions, and I've had no further problems. Peace
National Lap Steel
buncha little glass bottles, 15 mm Craftsman deep socket.