Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2021, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Intel Turbo Boost 2021.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Kyle, my problem is not the function, it's the fact that it persists after Pro Tools is shut down. At least the enabling of Turbo Boost does. It stays on permanently, as far as I can tell.

Dominic
Like Kyle said, TB is active by default, if the mac intel processor supports it. You can't enable/disable it, or even see its enabled status without software like Turbo Switcher mentioned earlier. And it has only two states; on or off, for all processes including PT.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Like Kyle said, TB is active by default, if the mac intel processor supports it. You can't enable/disable it, or even see its enabled status without software like Turbo Switcher mentioned earlier. And it has only two states; on or off, for all processes including PT.
No, you are incorrect, that's not what is happening here.
If you select the Turbo Boost switch in PT, the processor ramps to its maximum speed and stays there. That's not the same as leaving it to switch speeds as it sees fit.
In addition, when you quit PT, the processor stays ramped up at maximum speed.

Dominic
Old 06-24-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
No, you are incorrect, that's not what is happening here.
If you select the Turbo Boost switch in PT, the processor ramps to its maximum speed and stays there. That's not the same as leaving it to switch speeds as it sees fit.
In addition, when you quit PT, the processor stays ramped up at maximum speed.

Dominic
OK. I haven't installed 2021.6 yet. Then that's a poor implementation of the setting. But what I said is correct.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:12 PM

Anyway, the free version of Turbo Boost Switcher is easy, stable and very useful. In combination with Macs Fan Control to manually set fan speed, I have all I need for full control of my macs temperature and performance.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
OK. I haven't installed 2021.6 yet. Then that's a poor implementation of the setting. But what I said is correct.
I don't know what part of what you said is correct, but what's happening here is like a hard ON/OFF switch, once you've changed it in PT, the setting sticks, even after you've quit PT. You're left with either the processor running at it's maximum speed, even if the computer is under no load, or it won't boost at all.

Worse than that, the OFF setting appears to persist through a reboot, at least on my machine, on the two tests I've done so far. So, switch TB off in PT, quit PT, reboot machine - now the CPU won't boost even though you haven't launched PT at all since the reboot.

This needs a bit of a fix I think.

Dominic
Old 06-24-2021, 03:37 PM
Avid

Quote:
I don't know what part of what you said is correct, but what's happening here is like a hard ON/OFF switch, once you've changed it in PT, the setting sticks, even after you've quit PT. You're left with either the processor running at it's maximum speed, even if the computer is under no load, or it won't boost at all.

Worse than that, the OFF setting appears to persist through a reboot, at least on my machine, on the two tests I've done so far. So, switch TB off in PT, quit PT, reboot machine - now the CPU won't boost even though you haven't launched PT at all since the reboot.

This needs a bit of a fix I think.

Dominic
Yes, the setting persists through reboot. This is by design. Many Turbo Boost Switcher users (myself included) leave Turbo Boost disabled all the time to reduce Mac fan noise. It’d be rather annoying to have to disable the setting in PT after each reboot. And, the point of this feature is that you don’t have to use Turbo Boost Switcher. TBS has not always run on macOS without disabling SIP, for example.

How are you seeing that the CPU is running at its max speed and stuck there? And what do you mean by “max”? Non-turbo boosted speed? Or turbo boosted speed?
Berkeley, CA
Old 06-25-2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Anyway, the free version of Turbo Boost Switcher is easy, stable and very useful. In combination with Macs Fan Control to manually set fan speed, I have all I need for full control of my macs temperature and performance.
Apologies Ben, you are correct.
PT is doing something it shouldn't (persisting settings) but your explanation is right.
Please see my post in reply to Kyle........

Dominic
Old 06-25-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Yes, the setting persists through reboot. This is by design. Many Turbo Boost Switcher users (myself included) leave Turbo Boost disabled all the time to reduce Mac fan noise. It’d be rather annoying to have to disable the setting in PT after each reboot. And, the point of this feature is that you don’t have to use Turbo Boost Switcher. TBS has not always run on macOS without disabling SIP, for example.

How are you seeing that the CPU is running at its max speed and stuck there? And what do you mean by “max”? Non-turbo boosted speed? Or turbo boosted speed?
OK, so PT really shouldn't be persisting this setting once you've quit PT.

What I think has happened here is because I had a pre-release version of 2021.6 (to update the firmware on my Carbon), the Turbo Boost had been switched off on my machine for a few days. I didn't realise, except that I had noticed my web browsing was a bit sluggish.
When I lauched PT and turned Turbo Boost on, it restored my machine to its former normal setting, which in the case of the Mac Pro 7.1, is to boost most of the time. So it looked like my clock speed was being pinned at a high level, but in fact, that's where it normally is. (I'm using the Intel Power Gadget to monitor the clock speed).
So, for people with laptops, turning Turbo Boost OFF is going to stop/reduce laptop fan noise during use of PT. But it's also going to leave them with a slower machine when PT isn't running. I really don't think you should persist this setting after PT is quit.
For users like me, who have a new Mac Pro, turning Turbo Boost off just cripples the machine, again both when PT is and isn't running. There's no need for it so I will just turn it back on and forget about it.

I think it's really good to have the setting available inside PT, I just think you should return the machine to how you found it when PT is quit.

Dominic
Old 06-25-2021, 12:50 AM

Im on Intel Mac Pro 6.1 12 core E5-2697 CPU Mojave latest upgrade.
Can this missing feature be the Catalina or Big Sur related ?
Old 06-25-2021, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koka View Post
Im on Intel Mac Pro 6.1 12 core E5-2697 CPU Mojave latest upgrade.
Can this missing feature be the Catalina or Big Sur related ?
It may be that your model or CPU doesn't support software controlled switching, even though the E5-2697 has Turbo Boost.
Perhaps you should install the free version of Turbo Boost Switcher ..
http://tbswitcher.rugarciap.com/
This is the program Ben mentioned above, and I've got the paid version for my laptop, so it's a legitimate application.
Install it - see if it will let you disable Turbo Boost. The free version forces you to do it manually each time - the paid-for version will allow you to persist the setting or set conditions for when Turbo Boost is allowed. But the free version is all you need to see if that control is possible on your machine.

Dominic