Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Default "Lacie" not an audio playback volume

I just spent 2 hours searching so I wouldn't repeat a question as most newbs do and still couldn't find an answer so I throw myself to the experts here to possibly guide me through this endeavor.

Running Mbox 2 through my Mac Pro with a Lacie 320G external hard drive. I am running PT 8.0 as well and am kind of new to Mac so I am really a novice. I am trying to setup my disk allocation to send everything to the Lacie rather than Mac HD but every time I try to send a session file to the Lacie this way I get the error message of "Lacie" is not an audio playback volume. I have no clue what this means or how to save my sesions there. I also cannot click on any session files in the Lacie and open up the session.

Any ideas, tips or advice is well appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Re: "Lacie" not an audio playback volume

This may help.... It's from Digi's site.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...5&itemid=23114

I didn't see anything on there that said USB 2.0 Drivers were compatible for recording. Is your Lacie drive a usb or firewire? Anyways, if it is firewire, check the specs of what Digi requires and if they match up to what your external drive is.... Then go from there.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 AM

Actually it is a USB 2.0, if I need to I'm sure I can switch the connection to a firewire. Thanks for the link and reply, I will try to reformat the drive to a MAC OS Extended drive. Maybe that'll work.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive.

Pro Tools supports recording and playback to a secondary drive that meets the following requirements:

7200 rpm or faster
9ms seek time or faster

Firewire drives must have the Oxford 911 (FW400 port), Oxford 912 (FW400 & FW800 ports) or Oxford 924 (FW800 ports) Bridge chip. Other Oxford chipsets, while not fully tested, have not shown any issues and should generally work well with Pro Tools.

USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic. Avoid using USB drives, as they are known for causing a variety of errors.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 AM

I didn't look @ the link, but did u go to the Workspace & try & jus change it to Record(R) Lacie drives come Mac formatted...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 AM

I see the USB drive does not play nice. I'm going to look for a USB to Firewire connector.

Workspace? No, I only went into the the setup, disk alllocation and tried to set it there. I get that message above and then I get booted out of PT.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate the patience.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 AM

U can't change it in Disk Allocation...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 10-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Avid

From the sticky at the top of nearly every forum:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=141636
Old 10-06-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireJoe View Post
I see the USB drive does not play nice. I'm going to look for a USB to Firewire connector.
I think you're missing the point. A USB to FW connection won't change anything, you need a drive that IS FW, and not just switched via cable. USB is too slow and problematic to use as an audio drive, and just switching the cable won't improve the speed at which information is being written to the drive.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Jeez, how in the world did I miss that!?!?! I did a 2 hour search and didn't find that.

So, besides setting my disk utility to reformat the drive, my Lacie drive, which is plugged into a USB port to the tower is still going to need a Firewire connection. Correct?

Sorry for being such a newb.