Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-10-2006, 09:43 AM

Default mac bug

I was backing up an album (22 gigs) the other day to another drive and what i am guessing happened is that the firewire drive disconnected during the transfer, and the os randomnly deleted the entire album from the source drive. (AAACK) I was able to revover just about everything except one file. i am wondering if there are any other people here who have experienced this and if so is there a fix so it doesn't happen again? I have os 10.5.3 I have had one other friend with a similar experience.

I am trying to figure out if it is a software glitch or a hardware glitch. It doesn't make sense that the mac would delete the files from the source drive. let alone all the files included in the copy command.

What really bothered me about the situation was that the mac os put a folder on the drive called "lost+found" which, i'm assuming the creation subsequently overwrote an audio file, causing this randomn "Cssshhhheee!". (insert white noise at 0db sound effect here)

Sorry about the off topicedness of this post but File recovery is definitely a big part of the music engineers woes.
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 11-10-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: mac bug

Theres no OS 10.5.3, maybe you meant 10.3.5? Also is your drive FW400 or FW800? I know there was a bug with FW800 in Panther that was supposedlly fixed in later versions of Mac OS, but persoanally I think it never worked reliably. You will find more info on this on www.fwdepot.com

cheers.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
[…] i am guessing happened is that the firewire drive disconnected during the transfer […] is there a fix so it doesn't happen again?
Yes, don’t disconnect drives while they’re in use!

On a related note, hot-swapping FW drives isn’t a good idea, despite the claims by Apple, et al. FW connections carry data and power, and making or breaking connections while the the system is powered is to ask for trouble. This goes for devices other than drives (iPods, iSight, etc.) as well.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 11-10-2006, 10:39 PM

Yup you are right its 10.3.5

i called apple today and the tech support guy determined that with the symptoms i gave him that the drive was beginning to fail, but i could probably reformat and fix it. I'm gonna do that and archive to it and get a new drive. He suggested using a raid 5 array. any thoughts on that? Also Suggestions on a new drive? I have been using the maxtors, but I'm tempted to put a barracuda in a FW enclosure.

Thanks for the responses ppl...

K
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 11-11-2006, 06:10 AM

Pro Tools will not record to a RAID disk. If you have a RAID disk whose sole purpose is a backup disk, that may be useful.