Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-06-2002, 12:43 AM

Default Need Advice for drums

Hello
I've been thinking about getting a silent drumset like the roland td8k I think it's called or the ddrums that is kind of the same Idea. I want to have a silent drumset to have in my apartment so I can record drums without disturbing too much.

Could you help me?

Cheers

Bascani
Old 08-06-2002, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Need Advice for drums

The roland v-drums are pretty sweet, but of course they don't sound like real drums. One of the things you can get is a set with a MIDI out connection. With a little time, a few cables and some cash you could hook the kit up to a sampler to give you more accurate sounds to record into ProTools.
I know on the Yamaha sets you can get drum pads that have separate triggers on the rims and heads of the "drums" and they even have enough elasticity to bounce the stick back so you can do a roll easier.
I see ads for sound upgrade cards for the digital drum sets every once and a while, so the most important thing is to find a set you like the feel of, then worry about how it sounds.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:35 AM

Go for the D-Drums! I have rehearsed with a drummer that used D-Drums.
It s got an amazing sound just like acoustic drums.
When we got tired with to high sound during rehearsal, we just all ,included the drummer,
turned the sound down. What an relaxing rehearsal!
Perhaps its expensive, but check it out.

http://www.clavia.se/ddrum/index.htm

There is audio samples on their site.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:53 AM

Well I disagree. For rehearsing, electronic drums are amazing, or for someone that doesnt care much about the sound of drums. But for recording, even average drums are better than electronic drums, and I have tried lots of them. They never seem to get the ambience that you get with overhead mics. And most of the "feel" and sound comes from the overheads. Thats why your favorite bands dont record using electronic drums. Dont get me wrong, V-drums are good for some things (like industrial rock). Or if you don't know how to record and mix so that your real drums sound punchy and clear, then you're better off with electronic drums [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Joz
Old 08-06-2002, 05:54 AM

i agree... or actually - using live drums and later trig samples to beef up kicks and snares is used by many professionals, and can be found on loads of recordings. best of both worlds!?
Old 08-06-2002, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vonbleak101:
The V-Drums are quite good, alot better than an average acoustic drum kit,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You've got to be joking......
Old 08-06-2002, 07:07 AM

Anybody who thinks v-drums are better than acoustic drums is eithrt (a) a lousy engineer, (b) a lousy drummer or (c) deaf.

While I agree that electronic drums are an OK solution if you have a space where you can't make noise, there is simply no substiture for the dynamics of a stick hitting a drum/cymbal.

I agree with the previous statements that if you simply must have a triggered sound, either use triggers on an acoustinc kit or sound-replace a live drum hit.
http://www.1011productions.com
Old 08-06-2002, 07:08 AM

Anybody who thinks v-drums are better than acoustic drums is eithrt (a) a lousy engineer, (b) a lousy drummer or (c) deaf.

While I agree that electronic drums are an OK solution if you have a space where you can't make noise, there is simply no substiture for the dynamics of a stick hitting a drum/cymbal.

I agree with the previous statements that if you simply must have a triggered sound, either use triggers on an acoustinc kit or sound-replace a live drum hit.
http://www.1011productions.com
Old 08-06-2002, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vonbleak101:

Unfortunatly the unit only has a stereo out so you have to mix the drum kit internally and cannot track each drum individualy.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This statement is actually only partly true..sorry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . There are two assignable "Individual Outputs" on almost all of Roland's drum line. Unfortunately, that means we were stuck tracking Kick and Snare seperate and then mixing everything else together using the unit. It worked just fine for quick writing purposes while out of town, but obviously being a drummer, I'm going to record/play real drums anytime that I am doing something serious. These electronic drums are just the thing for that sort of "quick writing" environment however this mentality of "Electronic drums are just as good..." is total crap....but again, I am a drummer.

J.

P.S. For the record, I don't think a POD sounds anthing like a guitar either [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ....call me old fashioned....