How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 01-27-2023, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Plugins compatible with Apple Silicon natively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
Hi Kerry, On Production Expert, we have a fully searchable Apple Silicon compatibility database, which includes the data from this list, which you can filter by the date each entry was last updated.
Thanks Mike. I just had a look. Unfortunately, it's co-mingling with the other plug-in formats hampers it for what I was looking for.

At first, I thought I had it sorted by Date/Time and filtering the "Supported With Apple Silicon Pro Tools" with the words "Avid states" (since that seems to be the key phrase).

However, it starts to fall apart with the retroactive entries. Example - go to Spectrasonics. The date is "03/02/2022" (hence it being on the 2nd page of data, but you have the text "Avid states that all Spectrasonics plugins are supported.", andSpectrasonics only released those AAX Silicon native updates 2 days ago? I do appreciate the page, and the database probably only needs a few small tweaks to make it work the way I was looking for (AAX-silicon-date-added sorting), but it's not 100% there for that purpose at the moment.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 01-27-2023, 02:21 PM

It sure is nice when you find a row for a company and it states "All Plugins Supported." Ting!
Old 01-28-2023, 02:42 AM

I'm surprised there isn't a little more outrage at the seeming dawdling by so-called big name Plugin developers to go about the necessary work of compiling a binary for plugins that already are available as universal binaries in other formats, especially from those in mixing and post.

Many have invested in the promise of Apple Silicon and are still waiting to get the most out of their investments. Lest we forget, M1 was introduced in November of 2020!

Antares, Plugin Alliance, SSL, Izotope, et al, please spend a little less time and money on marketing and get your already existing plugins working. If not people WILL find alternatives and move off of your subscriptions on to others. (Spark anyone?)

As much as there are many a reason to criticise Waves, they deserve flowers where due: they maintain backward compatibility some 20+ years (I can open sessions from the 90's and all the plugins still open up!) and as a company appear to be quite mobile with regard to updating to new technology.

Old 01-28-2023, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbree View Post
dawdling…
Nice choice of words.
I had to look it up:

Quote:
dawdle | ˈdɔːd(ə)l |
verb [no object]
waste time; be slow: she mustn't dawdle—she had to make the call now.
• [with adverbial of direction] move slowly and idly in a particular direction: Ruth dawdled back through the wood.
And I agree with you.
I guess we're too used to this kind of thing.
And I guess there will be more outrage when PT native is out of beta.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:54 AM

Quote:
However, it starts to fall apart with the retroactive entries. Example - go to Spectrasonics. The date is "03/02/2022" (hence it being on the 2nd page of data, but you have the text "Avid states that all Spectrasonics plugins are supported.", andSpectrasonics only released those AAX Silicon native updates 2 days ago? I do appreciate the page, and the database probably only needs a few small tweaks to make it work the way I was looking for (AAX-silicon-date-added sorting), but it's not 100% there for that purpose at the moment.
Hi Kerry. Thanks for spotting those. Human error on my part. I have been through the database again and changed the dates of those I missed when updating the database.

Mike
Old 01-28-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Thanks Mike. I just had a look. Unfortunately, it's co-mingling with the other plug-in formats hampers it for what I was looking for.

At first, I thought I had it sorted by Date/Time and filtering the "Supported With Apple Silicon Pro Tools" with the words "Avid states" (since that seems to be the key phrase).

Good ole legalese Kerry. It's always in the "fine print"-:)

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-28-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
Hi Kerry. Thanks for spotting those. Human error on my part. I have been through the database again and changed the dates of those I missed when updating the database.

Mike
Yep, I was the one that told my pal Kerry about the update and it literally was added in the late afternoon even before they had updated their website. A colleague and I were working on his updates in LA over the phone and he got it right as it was posted after checking Omnisphere an hour after he had just done so. So funny, G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-28-2023, 08:30 AM

A bit sad to see how long certain companies seem intent on taking. The ones that are gone are great, Eventide, Soundtoys, McDSP, FabFilter, Waves, Cargo Cult, Melda...

But not a peep from Audioease, Izotope, GRM, Plugin-Alliance, SSL, Klevgrand.

I hope at least they are working on them!
Old 01-28-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
A bit sad to see how long certain companies seem intent on taking. The ones that are gone are great, Eventide, Soundtoys, McDSP, FabFilter, Waves, Cargo Cult, Melda...

But not a peep from Audioease, Izotope, GRM, Plugin-Alliance, SSL, Klevgrand.

I hope at least they are working on them!
Yeah, Audioease told me months ago they had exciting news, but would not share. They are sort of like Alsoft to me as when I pressed them in an email, they sort of gave me a terse response and told me to do whatever I wanted to do, which I could not get their installer to even work on an update of three of their items. I use them less and less now.. The only one I would be concerned about is SSL and Izotope. The rest I have been using less and less.

G
Old 01-28-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbree View Post
Antares, Plugin Alliance, SSL, Izotope, et al, please spend a little less time and money on marketing and get your already existing plugins working. If not people WILL find alternatives and move off of your subscriptions on to others. (Spark anyone?)
Yep, lol. Since Apple Silicon was announced Izotope has released RX8, RX9 and RX10. Granted they had to wait for Avid's AAX SDK, but they've had that since before RX10 was released. Like focus less on pushing out a new RX every 6 months and please just make it current with today's technology....erm 2020's technology.

After shelling out to update to RX9 and RX10 in the same year, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide the AS Native AAX should just be RX11 and charge another massive upgrade fee for it.