View Single Post
Old 09-30-2022, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Mac Pro or Mac Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainvimmes View Post
Hi all,

We are finally upgrading our Mac's, but we are having doubts about which way to go and would like to know if anyone has made or is going through the same deliberation.

Plan A) Mac Pro 2019 Intel, 16-core 3.2Ghz, 64gb RAM, 1TB SSD

Plan B) Mac Studio, M1 Ultra 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, 128GB RAM, 1TB SSD +Sonnet Chassis

Looking at spec, it appears to be a no brainer, especially when you factor in cost (Mac Studio will be a fair bit cheaper even with the Chassis). I know there may be some kinks to work out RE plugs/software... but is the Studio a workhorse to rival the Pro?

Really, I just want to hear any words of wisdom (or warning) that I won't get from a sales rep.

A few extra notes:
We have an external RMU, running HDX across the board, work off network storage (DDP and Nexis). Mixture of D-series & S6.

Thanks in advance, and hopefully we can consolidate some info for those in a similar position.
I have both (although my Mac studio is the base model).
My main machine is the 2019 Mac Pro.
Here is my take on it.

Mac Pro:
My Mac Pro spec is 16 core, 3.2Ghz, 160GB, 4TB.
It is just less fiddly than with expansion chassis stuff on the Mac Studio.

In terms of performance there is nothing that either machine cannot do at this stage.
The Mac Pro is much more expandable.
I have 160GB RAM in it, multiple OWC PCIE M.2 cards.
The Mac Pro with a HDX card is quiet enough to be in the control room.
The cooling in that thing is just incredible.
It is so silent.

I'd need two expansion chassis' to house everything I have in the Mac Pro if I was using just the Studio.

Mac Studio:

My Mac Studio is 10-Core CPU, 24-Core GPU, 32GB unified memory 512GB SSD storage. I would have up specced it if I had time but I needed it for a project and the lead time for a custom one was too long.
I regret it but it was necessary.
I wouldn't bother with the Ultra myself but if you do a lot of video editing then it would be the way to go.

The expansion chassis means your have to have the chassis in a machine room.
Even the one I am using (which I cannot disclose as it is something I am beta-testing) is fairly silent but too loud for a control room.

The Corning 10m Thunderbolt cable (which is $400) makes this possible but then you will need long Digilink cables too, or put your MTRX (or other IO) in the machine room too.
My Mac Studio is in a control room on an OWC dock with a 10m Corning Thunderbolt cable running through the wall to the storage expansion (OWC Express 4M2's).

I am in the process of redesigning the studio though and it is all going in the machine room, including all the IO.

If I was buying now and couldn't wait for the Silicon Mac Pro then I'd still get the 2019 Mac Pro.
I would be inclined to wait it out though.
But how long for?
I don't know.

Tower computers are just better for studios (IMHO).

Something worth mentioning is data throughput.
The Mac Pro with its PCIE storage (OWC Accelsior 4m2) is twice as fast as the Mac Studio using OWC Express 4M2's under the same conditions (RAID 5/6 or JBOD).

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting