View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Cannot change or save Pro Tools preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uh. Did you migrate apps and drivers using migration (assassin) assistant? Or something else? Then Yep, you take a risk when you do that.

What are the UNIX permissions on all the pref files are they owned by you (same uid and gid?) if not try fixing that.

All troubleshooting should start with trashing prefs. Ideally using Pete Gates PT Prefs. So try that. If that still does not fix things you might stop trying to work out what is going on and just do a wipe/clean macOS install and reinstall apps and drivers and plugins.

Darryl's advice is good. Migration Assistant has be known to cause problems for PT. I'm guessing a simple prefs trashing might be all you need. But before you go thru the big job of installing MacOS and applications from scratch, then making every configuration and setting which might take ages, I want to say that in my experience Migration Assistant today is good.

If Darryl's tips don't work, my suggestion is to, as I've done myself several times is:
Start with a fresh system. You don't need to install it again, you can just boot from the recovery partition and erase the Mac HD - Data volume. This will make your mac startup like it was never used, and ask you to make a new user account and all that.
Then install iLok and PT and test if PT is working like it should.
Then use Migration Assistent to copy everything except Applications.
This will leave you with a mac that looks like your old mac and have all licenses, contacts, bookmarks, preferences and so on, and with a working installation of PT. You will then have to manually copy other applications to Applications folder. Most will be a simple copy action. Most apps will not need the reinstall.