View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 12:14 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
If you have no need to do it there probably isn't much to gain. I spent more time trying to troubleshoot bluetooth issues in Windows than it took to setup the entire MacOS partition. It probably depends a lot on hardware choice though. Some of the tools have gotten pretty amazing, like single button clicks to generate windows bluetooth keys so that my Apple magic mouse and keyboard seamlessly work across both Windows and MacOS partitions. So far the updates have just been done using the software update tab in MacOS just the same as any other mac computer.

I don't have a crystal ball as far as future updates, etc. That is the main reason I built it! Most of the film/television/radio portions of the industry haven't gotten anywhere near grappling with the Apple Silicon transition yet. It will probably take a few years to pan out. I figure 2-4 years with this machine and the dust will hopefully have started to settle. Where it settles is anyones guess!
Okay, interesting. Luckily I don't need BT, have USB extenders from my machine room. And agreed on the post industry being still in dissarray re: ASI - I'm also a score mixer myself but I seem to be fine on Win with just running Macdrive here.

BTW you came to mind while I was reading the DAWBench test thread on GS - on the last few pages an user has popped in claiming that they are seeing a massive CPU efficiency increase in both Cubase and Studio One, on a i7-8700K Hackintosh. Have you happened to test PT performance on both OSes? If you had, it would be amazing if you shared the results here or in that thread. Any standard plugin loading test with identical PT settings (and the same audio interface) would suffice for "proof of concept" IMHO, it would be interesting how your results compared to this user (whose first language clearly is not english...)

The thread is here, I'll link to the page with the first post by user "AsiashA" on the matter, a lot of discussions about it on the following 2 pages, also with comments from TAFKAT (one of the DAWBench crew) and Psychlist (Microsoft's audio dev Pete Brown):

https://gearspace.com/board/music-co...hmarks-35.html
Windows 11 23H2, Intel i9-14900KS, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2024.3

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.