Thread: MTRX Studio
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2021, 10:31 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
You could get a Focusrite Red 16Line for half the price and get better latency, a great computer interface and excellent sound. You'd have Dante, Thunderbolt 3, Digilink (should you ever need it) and ADAT/SPDIF onboard too.

If you really want the MTRX Studio then I would get HD Native or a HDX card.
If you don't want to do that then get the Focusrite card- it will be more reliable.
DVS is, IMHO, best only used in emergencies.
I mostly agree with this. I started hating DVS some years ago after I had some stability issues with it that I couldn't find a resolution to. If you're working on a Dante system, my very strong recommendation is to use a hardware based Dante device, which the Dante PCIe cards count as. They don't use DVS, they are the same as having an HD Native card in your computer and don't create a virtual sound card interface like DVS does.

However in the last few months I have found a use for DVS.

I use it was my back up recording for my second Protools system when I do live concert recordings. And because I have it connected to the switch that the rest of my Dante system runs on, I can use the Satellite Link Function that was enabled in Protools 2020.12 so I can control both systems at the same time and keep them in sync. With my primary system running HD Native via TB3 and my Focusrite Red 8 Pre.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One