View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Carbon internal talkback system - not great results here

Today I got a reply from Avid - wow - great service! Someone at Avid Support saw this DUC post and emailed me.

So, the distortion I was experiencing is a known firmware issue. I rolled back PT from 2020.12 to 2020.11, reset firmware, and the mic levels are more realistic, not distorting anymore in normal use. I'll work in PT 2020.11 until next version rolls out.

For the fan noise, okay, I'll try a gate & finesse sends/volumes to talent. Thanks for that tip, Bob.

I also tried Waves x-noise, but that puts the talkback in 'native' mode with about 100ms delay. Waves z-noise introduced wayyy too much latency to be useful in a realtime use case. I'm going to try a demo of McDSP NR800 Noise Reduction Processor in AAX DSP mode & report back. Any other known/good noise reduction AAX DSP plugs out there?

Sure would be AWESOME if we could use an external microphone in the switchable/dimmable talkback system. I did try to use my own mic into input 24 (via adat), but that doesn't make use of switchable/dimmable functions that the talkback system utilizes.