View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 11:06 PM

Default 1 or 5 IP addresses

Hello fellow Digi Users,

I am in the process of reconfiguring my studio and, in doing so, have purchased a DD LT. After doing some research I realize that I need to have static IP address and currently I have a dynamic one. So, I've been on the phone with my ISP (Comcast) and I'm about to pull the trigger and change from a residential internet account to a business account which would provide me with a static IP. But I have a couple of questions:

1. What are the benefits to having (5) static IP addresses as opposed to just (1) static IP address?

2. If I only get (1) static IP address, would my surfing the net interfere with clients accessing the the DD?

Comcast will charge me an additional $5/monthly to have (5) IP addresses and I'm not sure if it's really needed. However, I'd rather have and not need than to need and not have in terms of down the road or future usage. Comcast is telling me that if I start off with (1) IP and decide down the road to change to (5), then they would have to remove the one and give me five completely new ones. I just dont want it to be a hassle for clients and I definitely don't want to do anything that would hinder or elongate there accessing the DD.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'd like to solidify this in the upcoming coming week!

TIA
George