View Single Post
Old 07-30-2002, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Sony EQ vs Waves Linear EQ in mix

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ-SOUND:
The Waves Linear phase EQ is completely different type of EQ then Sony EQ or any other EQ like Waves RenEQ and many others.

Sony and the other introduce phase distortion, these filters are sometimes called minimum phase filters. on the other hand LinEQ and LinMultiband are based in linear phase filters. the only way to achieve this is by introducing a latency on the audio! the more the latency the higher resolution are the filters. The benefit of these filters are that the group delay of each frequency is constant and the phase is linear. this allows you to manipulate the sound in a very different approach. The Lin EQ is good if you are looking for new sounds and tools. If you are looking for "analog" type tools, you need to look at Sony and RenEQ

RenEQ has been doing very similar curves and controls. Also RenEQ has a very short latency...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for clearing that. Here are my problems with Renn EQ: First off, when I try to cut lower midrange with it, say from close mic'd drums or muddy vocals, I find it a bit akward sounding. I also think the high end is brittle if pushed too hard. Most importantly, and I've seen others say this, it kind of puts an overall "haze" on the track it is used on. I've been using Filterbank with better results but am still looking for better. The Sony seems the way to go.