View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 07:43 AM
Avid

Default Re: Carbon pre-purchase questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett Paster View Post
Friends- considering buying a Carbon to replace my Lynx Aurora TB system. Mac Pro 2013 6 core, OSX 10.14.6 (I know I'd have to update that), PT current subscription. A few questions that I can seem to find the answers to on the AUC or in Carbon Manual:

1) Does DSP Mode for Low Latency Monitoring work for the ADAT Optical input channels too? Or just for the 8 mic/line inputs on the Carbon hardware?

2) Can I assign a PT track output to any Carbon out (analog or ADAT) and still get the DSP low latency monitoring? ie- can I send tracks or groups of tracks to different outputs to feed a Aviom headphone mixer system and still get the DSP low latency? Or does DSP low latency only work with Main Outs and Carbon's 4 built in Headphone outputs?

3) The Tape Op review of Carbon mentioned that there are phase/sync problems when multi-mic'ing instruments (ie drums) if mixing Carbon's mic pres and ADAT inputs. Is that a problem for any of you? I'd use my Aurora to feed the ADAT ins.

4) Lastly- how's the VI latency feel? Seems like it might be similar to my Aurora 16 TB system which is workable at 32-128 buffers.

Thanks so much for your help! My dealer doesn't seem to know the answers...
Hi Bennett,

1) Yes, for both analog and ADAT
2) Yes, to any output
3) Here's the relevant quote from that article, "Be aware that there are input latency differences between the analog and digital inputs on the Carbon, as on any interface with similar ports. If you split multiple mics on a single source between the analog and ADAT inputs, you will induce phase problems." This is accurate and results from the AD converter delays on the external ADAT converter device being different from the Carbon AD converter delays. And, as mentioned in the quote, this will happen with any audio interface with digital inputs. Just avoid connecting a stereo device like a keyboard, etc to both analog input and ADAT input and you'll be fine. Stereo sources like room mics and overhead mics are less of a concern for this routing scenario because you can simply move one mic closer to compensate for the converter delay differences. However, it's a good rule of thumb to just avoid splitting stereo sources between analog and ADAT inputs.
4) VI latency with buffer size of 128 or 256 seems to be fine for most users. But, I'll let other Carbon users chime in to report their experience.

Hope that helps!
Berkeley, CA