View Single Post
Old 08-16-2001, 08:39 PM

Default Re: OMS overrun error

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>My current set-up is Pro Tools 5.0.1 on a MAC 9600.
OMS 2.3.8 Free Midi 1.4
I have "Use Apple serial DMA" checkbox deselected in OMS and I have also checked that I am sending data at the slowest rate.
1 Mhz. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same setup minus Freemidi and it's been just fine....light at the end of the tunnel.

Ok...first. Un-check "Use Serial DMA" This isn't needed and could be the problem.

Open OMS Studio Setup and double click on your interface. Make sure that the interface speed and OMS reflect the same settings. Sometimes they can get wack.

Disable Appletalk as it can cause problems when running midi.

These error alerts can be caused by incorrect settings for the interface (too fast) or midi feedback loops or some synth or device that is sending out constant midi messages. This is often the case with older devices. This data can be filtered but that doesn't mean the interface or rather OMS won't still give you the alert. It's also worth noting that there are many times that these errors mean little of nothing and you can ignore them. This is the reason that they have an option to "Report serial overrun and framing errors" Unchecking it will release you of these alerts ;-)

NOTE: Unless you're using Opcode Vision software I would disable the "OMS Time Manager" file from the OMS folder in your System Folder. This has been know to cause timing errors. I don't think this is related to your problem but it is worth noting.

Midi in background is fine and really the best way to go.

Another thing to check...open the MTPAV console software and find the SMPTE controls page set the free wheel rate to 4 frames.

still thinking....hhmmm

Kevan