View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 AM

Default Re: I Got Pro Tools 7.3 to recognize 2.7GB of memory- Here's how

Filosofem,

This worked out great. Had some issues initially, but they've not shown back up since.

I created a new session, pushed the usage to almost 1.7GB, closed it down, then got an Access Violation error. I shut down PT, opened the same session, mucked around, then closed it again and there were no issues. Did it a few more times to be sure and everything was fine.

My first use of Reason after using the switch had a quirk. Everything would be fine until I switched from PT to a different window, any window. For example, I'd make Reason the active window to load a sample into ReDrum, then click back on the ProTools window (All while it was playing); playing would stop as soon as I clicked in the PT screen and give me a H/W error. Same thing if I went from WordPad or the calculator back to PT. Again, happened only the one time.

All,

Going to buy more RAM so I can take it up to 4GB soon. I have a question about RAM if anyone can help me out.

I see a number of brands here on the DUC, but is there any brand of RAM that is better than the next? I was checking out the Creation Stations from Sweetwater and they make a claim about "Audio-grade Lifetime RAM". Huh? What?

Is this their way of saying they use the fastest RAM available or something? I can understand in general one brand maybe having better construction that another, but "Audio-Grade"? I feel this term may be interchangeable with "Professional-Grade" or something similar and they just use it as slick marketing term.

I was just gonna grab more OCZ RAM again. Also, from what I read, there is no need for any "SLI-Ready" RAM for use with ProTools right? The guy who puts together my PC's (Cause he does it for free and I'm lazy) grabbed it when he put my current one together. Using the DUC as a resource, I'm probably going to start to build my own PC's going forward. After I make the BLA money back I plan to shoot for an i7 based system.

Any help is appreciated.
Win7 64 Ultimate - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz - Gigabyte EX58-UD3R - OCZ Gold 6GB - Radeon X550 256MB Video Card - 750GB Caviar Black System, 500GB Hitachi SATA Sample, and 750GB Caviar Black Audio - 500GB Caviar Blue Backup - Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE - Signature Series Digi 002R