View Single Post
Old 05-07-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Retrospect Desktop Backup. Need Help!!

Thanks for the help.

However, DVD backup really isnt a possibility for my situation. I need some kind of incremental style backup. I know you can USE DVDs for this purpose with Retrospect, but each client (20+) have at least 40 gigs each that they are constantly working on, recalling, updating, removing, etc. I need the large capacity, but small physical size that come with tape-style backup, so half the small studio doesnt fill up with media.

Also, I have turned off hardware compression since making any new backups since upgrading to OSX a year ago. So I dont think thats the problem. I also do clean the drive when it prompts me to.

The odd thing is that SOME storage sets backup ok on SOME drives. Problem is that I cant find the 'magic path' yet. I cant figure out why it works sometimes and not others. I have tried backing up from the internal drive, the audio drives (SCSI) , and the FW drives, but nothing is consistent.
I just cant figure out WHY Retrospect goes to search the tape for where to begin the backup, but then gets caught up in this loop where it just rewinds, forwards, sleeps, the tape, but never gets past the "Please Wait' stage. arrhg.. I gotta figure something out here..
Not to mention that force-quitting Retrospect always f**Ks up the storage set synching, as well as causes the Black-Curtain-Of-Death if I dont restart right after quitting. This is a severely time consuming troubleshoot cuz for each test it takes a while to wait and see what happens and if it freezes up, I have to restart ala OS9 days...

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ř Cancellation!•