View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 02:12 PM

Default Re: New to HDX....quite disappointed.

Keep in mind I'm not running out of voices. I had a decent understanding of how voices worked before ordering (although I didn't know about how the punch modes affected it)

I did my homework, but I'm not gonna say I read the whole reference guide (maybe the cliffs notes?)

What bothers me is Avid's marketing. If the DSP chips are not at all involved with the mix bus, and solely for plugins, why am I out of DSP without a single plugin in the session?

They also love to claim that "When you’re faced with dozens of audio sources, hundreds of tracks, and thousands of clips, only one system can give you the power to deliver. Pro Tools | HDX."

These claims couldn't be further from the truth.

I probably don't need HDX. Avid stopped making HD Native PCIe, which surely means they will soon enough stop supporting it. I have no interest in a thunderbolt solution, so I was trying to play ball, so to speak. I thought I was getting the best money could buy.

I also wanted the lowest possible latency, for recording things that aren't going through the console (ie virtual instruments). Came to find out that's a joke. Does any one even know of a single AAX-DSP virtual instrument? I'll take the blame for not reading up on that, but at a quick glance they do make it look like everything in their bundle is going to run on your DSP, then you find out the virtual instruments do not (kick in the nuts #1), then you find out that the latency is going to be worse than it was in you old DAW since you're running a native instrument on a DSP based DAW. Wow.

All this after having to buy a new PC (when there was nothing wrong with my old one) just to get the thing running. So could I return HDX? Probably, but not Pro Tools Ultimate, and not really the new computer either.