View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 04:40 AM

Default Re: New to HDX....quite disappointed.

Thank you for your reply. With all due respect, I'm not sure you fully read or understood the post though.

Quote:
No one can answer your question without knowing what sample rate you were running, or what the routing of your session is. The console itself shouldn't matter, assuming you are talking about using an analog or digital outboard console that you use for preamps, AD conversion, and DA and monitoring outside of Protools

QFS sample rate= either 176.4 or 192. I don't think either gets treated much differently. I mention that I am using the console because it implies that every track in PT is routed to a separate output (which is precisely why this seems to be breaking down on me), instead of the usual ITB case where most tracks are routed to a single pair of outputs assigned to the master fader.

Quote:
Protools Ultimate has 256 voices at 48kHz, 128 at 96k and 64 at 192kHz.
As I stated, I am not running out of voices (see img) I am running out of DSP, simply having routed 24 tracks, with zero plugis in the session (ie all dsp chips used up on the mixer). The image shows 25 voices being used but the 25th track is actually disabled due to insufficient DSP.

Quote:
Protools Ultimate is about to get a major voice count upgrade which will give it 50% more voices at each respective sample rate. Unfortunately, the HDX cards won't be getting that upgrade, maybe ever, because there is a hardware compatibility that causes Protools to crash with the new firmware.
I heard about this as well. This is the problem I have with Avid. They release HDX....AAX, then basically just turn their back on them when push comes to shove. If anything, the DSP powered interface should outperform native (on its worst day) and should be the primary focus of their support (with regards to the ultimate version of Pro Tools). How many people invested an obscene amount of money in this system, just to be left high and dry? I'm hesitant to spring for a 2nd HDX. 48 tracks isn't horrible, but presumably that would leave no DSP for a single plugin.

Doesn't seem right to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ABSOLUTE **** resized.jpg (75.1 KB, 0 views)